humanino
Mar25-11, 03:05 PM
P: 2,828
He is just great !

Proton Soup
Mar25-11, 05:09 PM
P: 1,070
Autistic Einstein?

speaking of Einstein, how come i don't know what he sounds like? his image is ubiquitous in our culture, but he is always silent.
bp_psy
Mar25-11, 05:37 PM
P: 452
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
speaking of Einstein, how come i don't know what he sounds like? his image is ubiquitous in our culture, but he is always silent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1Z2wi2uSA
nismaratwork
Mar25-11, 06:17 PM
P: 2,284
He shpoke a lot auf German, und Ingles vas not his forte?
fourier jr
Mar25-11, 06:56 PM
P: 948
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
Read between the lines: http://slatest.slate.com/id/2289409/
A 12-year-old boy who's been taking advanced astrophysics classes at Indiana University since he was eight is trying to pick up where Einstein left off. Jacob Barnett has an IQ of 170, ten points higher than Einstein's. He is also mildly autistic, though the developmental disorder did not prevent him from teaching himself algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus in a week.
he has a developmental disorder?
nismaratwork
Mar25-11, 07:55 PM
Quote Quote by fourier jr View Post
he has a developmental disorder?
Somehow I'm not shocked that someone so mathematically minded would be limited in areas of social expression, but I wonder if you can conclude that this is autism spectrum, or unique to a certain level of genius?

Certainly the performance given goes beyond mere savant behavior.
Proton Soup
Mar25-11, 09:43 PM
thanks!

Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
He shpoke a lot auf German, und Ingles vas not his forte?
still, you would expect more. kissinger sounds funny too, but i know what he sounds like. einstein was a rock star in his day, he even met marilyn monroe. you'd expect at least a few lectures on tape, something.
nismaratwork
Mar25-11, 09:46 PM
thanks!

still, you would expect more. kissinger sounds funny too, but i know what he sounds like. einstein was a rock star in his day, he even met marilyn monroe. you'd expect at least a few lectures on tape, something.
From what I've read (Manjti Kumar talks about this) Einstein was not much of a lecturer, very informal an likeable, but, "often unprepared, making frequent errors." although he would ask his class to correct him graciously.

Who knows... the man was a unique kind of genius, maybe language just wasn't his forte, or maybe he had no interest? I truly don't know, but until you mentioned it I'd known about his reticence, but never considered it in the context of, "wow, I've never HEARD the man!"
FtlIsAwesome
Mar26-11, 12:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 193
Quote Quote by Wikiquote
It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing — a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind. Furthermore, the equation E = mc˛, in which energy is put equal to mass, multiplied by the square of the velocity of light, showed that very small amounts of mass may be converted into a very large amount of energy and vice versa. The mass and energy were in fact equivalent, according to the formula mentioned before. This was demonstrated by Cockcroft and Walton in 1932, experimentally.
http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/sound/voice1.mp3

MathematicalPhysicist
Mar29-11, 07:41 PM
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
He is just great !

Boring!!!

I want to play NHL 2012!!!
DR13
Mar29-11, 09:33 PM
P: 207
Yeah... it seems like there is another prodigy. I don't know how smart he actually is. I would imagine some is just media hype but he obviously knows his stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...skys-the-limit

It would be cool for someone to do a study on kids that are labeled as a "prodigy". Then track their lives and see what actually happens to them. I wonder if there would be any correlation between future success and what field the prodigy works in (are physics prodigies more likely to develop than musical ones, or vice versa). Also, what would be the affect of family life: if you do not encourage they may not reach their potential, but over-encouragement leads to burnout.
JaredJames
Mar29-11, 09:47 PM
P: 3,387
All of these child prodigies is all well and good, but I've never heard of them again.

I watched a show a few years back that was going to "track their progress in the coming years" and it showed up once again - with a somewhat different 'cast' of children - and that was it.

I think they're pushed too hard, never get to have a childhood, and then burnout (possibly even down to the eventual freedom that is granted at college / university).
lisab
Mar29-11, 09:48 PM
Mentor
P: 2,975
An extraordinary kid like him should be given what he needs to achieve his potential, but I doubt splashing around in the media will help him do so.

Impressive kid, though.
Proton Soup
Mar29-11, 10:02 PM
what is he talking about with light accelerating sideways ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...skys-the-limit
Proton Soup
Mar29-11, 10:05 PM
he may get bored with it in a few years and go into horticulture
rootX
Mar29-11, 10:14 PM
P: 1,294
he may get bored with it in a few years and go into horticulture
What is more interesting in horticulture?

(Personally, I have always found a CEO life more interesting than a prodigy life, not for their money but their execution skills .. never really wondered what a prodigy do with his life)

Register to reply