Incredible balancing of objects

• Thread starter felix123
  • Start date
In summary, this guy can balance any object on one point. It is not easy and takes a lot of practice.
felix123
I just watched this video of a guy who can balance any object on one point.

I tried it myself with some random objects and I grew so frustated that I thought this guy must be a fake! (maybe using glue or something)

Theoretically it seems possible, every object has a center of gravity and the line between the contact point and the center of gravity has to lie perfectly on the gravity vector.
But still in reality it seems unlikely as even the smallest disturbance (air etc..) would destroy the balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the trick is to balance stuff on a small object that has a dimple in it, so that the object does not rest on a single point but on, say, three points at least a few millimeters apart. Should be enough distance to be able to manually shift the center of gravity in between the points as seen from above.

Awesome vid. Thanks!
Just my opinion, I don't think it's fake.

if you notice he pays close attention to how he places the object before he tries to balance it. this is possible, but it would take a lot of practice. its not something you can do after a few hours of trying.

It reminds me of a parlour trick where you put some salt grains or sand grains in a very little pile on a smooth table top and then balance a salt shaker on its edge. A few grains will lodge themselves into the right position to jam the edge of the salt shaker. It takes practice but is impressive. If you get good, you need very little salt/sand so that no one notices it spread out on the table. Then when you are positioning the object you sweep the salt/sand into a little pile upon which you place the object.

Bowling ball juggling also impresses chicks.

Remember a seeing a guy in Sausilito on holiday how was/had balanced a tower of stones one on top of ech other. These where balanced on a point. Somehow they remained stable. I have apicture somehwere but I cannot find it.

If you notice he is always balancing on something, like a rock. It is the same principle as the salt and egg trick. The trick is that he isn't balancing on anything flat, hard and smooth. If it isn't flat, if it's rough like a rock, it's providing a very small amount of lateral support (the salt around the egg bottom) which is all that is necessary when something is balanced. No trick here, just the right rock or other support mechanism.

1. How does balancing objects defy gravity?

The act of balancing objects involves carefully positioning the object in such a way that its center of mass is directly above its base of support. This creates a state of equilibrium where the forces acting on the object are balanced, allowing it to remain in a stable position.

2. What is the role of physics in balancing objects?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the principles behind balancing objects. The laws of gravity, center of mass, and base of support all come into play when attempting to balance objects. By understanding these concepts, scientists can predict and manipulate the balance of objects.

3. Can all objects be balanced?

No, not all objects can be balanced. The shape, size, and weight of an object all play a role in its ability to be balanced. Objects with irregular shapes or a high center of mass may be more difficult to balance compared to symmetrical objects with a low center of mass.

4. What are some real-world applications of balancing objects?

Balancing objects has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, engineers use the principles of balancing to design stable structures such as bridges and buildings. In sports, athletes use their body's center of mass to maintain balance and stability while performing various movements.

5. Can balancing objects be a form of art?

Absolutely! Balancing objects can be a creative and artistic expression. Many artists incorporate balancing objects into their work, whether it be through sculptures or performances. It requires skill, precision, and a keen eye for balance, making it a unique and captivating form of art.