Register to reply

Incredible balancing of objects!

by felix123
Tags: balancing, incredible, objects
Share this thread:
felix123
Mar30-11, 06:38 AM
P: 2
I just watched this video of a guy who can balance any object on one point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEcVOZiK4i4

I tried it myself with some random objects and I grew so frustated that I thought this guy must be a fake! (maybe using glue or something)

Theoretically it seems possible, every object has a center of gravity and the line between the contact point and the center of gravity has to lie perfectly on the gravity vector.
But still in reality it seems unlikely as even the smallest disturbance (air etc..) would destroy the balance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Filip Larsen
Mar30-11, 11:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 958
Maybe the trick is to balance stuff on a small object that has a dimple in it, so that the object does not rest on a single point but on, say, three points at least a few millimeters apart. Should be enough distance to be able to manually shift the center of gravity in between the points as seen from above.
pallidin
Apr5-11, 05:40 PM
P: 2,292
Awesome vid. Thanks!
Just my opinion, I don't think it's fake.

Gabe21
Apr5-11, 06:58 PM
P: 52
Incredible balancing of objects!

if you notice he pays close attention to how he places the object before he tries to balance it. this is possible, but it would take alot of practice. its not something you can do after a few hours of trying.
nuclear1
Oct27-11, 12:25 AM
P: 1
It reminds me of a parlour trick where you put some salt grains or sand grains in a very little pile on a smooth table top and then balance a salt shaker on its edge. A few grains will lodge themselves into the right position to jam the edge of the salt shaker. It takes practice but is impressive. If you get good, you need very little salt/sand so that no one notices it spread out on the table. Then when you are positioning the object you sweep the salt/sand into a little pile upon which you place the object.
Chronos
Oct28-11, 04:22 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,380
Bowling ball juggling also impresses chicks.
bm0p700f
Dec19-11, 04:33 PM
P: 128
Remember a seeing a guy in Sausilito on holiday how was/had balanced a tower of stones one on top of ech other. These where balanced on a point. Somehow they remained stable. I have apicture somehwere but I cannot find it.
moejoe15
Jan1-12, 11:36 AM
P: 39
If you notice he is always balancing on something, like a rock. It is the same principle as the salt and egg trick. The trick is that he isn't balancing on anything flat, hard and smooth. If it isn't flat, if it's rough like a rock, it's providing a very small amount of lateral support (the salt around the egg bottom) which is all that is necessary when something is balanced. No trick here, just the right rock or other support mechanism.

Register to reply