Register to reply

Describe yourself in three words

by Jack21222
Tags: words
Share this thread:
Jack21222
Mar31-11, 09:14 AM
P: 772
I feel like I just bombed an interview, because I stumbled badly over the following question:

Describe yourself in three words, and explain why you chose each word.

I could only come up with two words when put on the spot like that.

So, I present the challenge to you all: describe yourself in 3 words, explain why you chose each word, and do it in the context of an interview.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
qspeechc
Mar31-11, 09:34 AM
P: 792
"No I can't."

I think that speaks for itself. But really, these questions are very silly. These sound like questions you would find on those cheesy dating shows. I think you are better off not working for a company that asks such stupid questions.
lisab
Mar31-11, 09:35 AM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Currently on PF.

jhae2.718
Mar31-11, 09:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Describe yourself in three words

Not these words.
dacruick
Mar31-11, 09:38 AM
P: 1,084
ambitious (this insinuates both hard working and passionate, two great qualities. it also gives an impression of a level of initiative that you will bring)
personable (to me this means that you will be easy to work with, and you bring to the table a positive effect on the workplace atmosphere. No one wants to hire someone that the rest of the people in the office won't like)

and for the third one, I would make it very job dependent. If you're going to be programming or something like that I would say go with analytical.

actually an idea just came to me. Maybe you could go with something like "sharp". This is a really interesting answer, one that they wouldn't expect. To me, someone who is sharp is smart, quick, punctual, well dressed, and critical in terms of problem solving. I think this choice brings a lot to the table.
dacruick
Mar31-11, 09:46 AM
P: 1,084
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
"No I can't."

I think that speaks for itself. But really, these questions are very silly. These sound like questions you would find on those cheesy dating shows. I think you are better off not working for a company that asks such stupid questions.
I resent this comment. Taking the approach that the questions you are being asked in an interview are silly makes you look silly. And that attitude will undoubtedly show through whatever answer you give, pretty much assuring that you don't get the position. Your interviewer has a certain approach that he/she wants to take, and asking questions that put you on the spot can tell you a lot about someones character. People rarely get hired based solely on meeting technical requirements. If you're going to be interviewing 10 people with similar credentials, you need something to set someone apart.
Proton Soup
Mar31-11, 10:20 AM
P: 1,070
not your mamma
Pattonias
Mar31-11, 10:35 AM
P: 378
Questions like this are the result of to much corporate HR research combined with a person who conducts interviews simply because it is their job and they don't really like interacting with people. To me, you know you had a good interview when you carry a conversation about the job and your work history without having to answer stupid stock questions on a sheet. Start with small talk and try to keep the conversation related to the job and just be a nice person. Worked so far.
Dembadon
Mar31-11, 11:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 641
I'm incredibly diligent; I've always taken a great deal of pride in my work and am always looking for ways in which I can improve what I do. I have a high value for efficiency, and it shows in my work.

I'm also motivated; you don't have to micromanage me to see whether or not I'm on task. I'm highly adept at time management and have no issues staying on top of my work so that deadlines are met.

I'm professional; I have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and am honest, courteous, and effective when communicating with others.
FtlIsAwesome
Mar31-11, 12:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 193
Possible responses:

"You need me."

"I am awesome."

"Where am I?"

"I'm a supervillian."

"Is this on?"

"Is it over?"

"Ouch that hurt."

"Asteroid hits Earth."

"Today we die."

"I am insane."

"Weird things happen."

Its not that hard to come up with them.
BobG
Mar31-11, 12:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Generally, you should have certain things you want to say about yourself in an interview and shouldn't rely on the interviewer to ask the right questions.

In other words, don't try to describe yourself. Pick three things about your past work history that you think would be relevant and use adjectives that lead into the things you wanted to tell them, anyway.

I developed a spread sheet where, given just a few general guidelines, workers could copy a color-coded and labeled box that represented a certain piece of equipment and paste it to a certain frequency and keep doing so until all of the boxes/frequencies were covered and a different box would indicate Green (you definitely had enough power for that configuration), Yellow (uh, don't count on it, since environmental conditions will probably prevent it from working at least some of the time), Red (no way it will work even in the best conditions). Between the general guidelines and trial and error, a worker could determine an effective configuration for all of his equipment in just minutes.

Analytical or, perhaps creative given the visual interface I used, could be used for that story.

And so on for each story you want to tell.

Some day I want to interview an employee and ask him/her how high they can count. The one that responds that they need a calculator to figure that out will probably get the job - unless a different candidate can figure that out using a slide rule plus a little mental math (a slide rule will only get you 3 to 4 digit precision, depending which end of the slide rule you wind up on).
revnaknuma
Mar31-11, 01:11 PM
P: 32
musician, physicist, psychologist.
Doc Al
Mar31-11, 01:12 PM
Mentor
P: 41,476
me so pretty?
jhae2.718
Mar31-11, 01:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Some day I want to interview an employee and ask him/her how high they can count. The one that responds that they need a calculator to figure that out will probably get the job - unless a different candidate can figure that out using a slide rule plus a little mental math (a slide rule will only get you 3 to 4 digit precision, depending which end of the slide rule you wind up on).
That's actually an interesting question. (Looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight...)
arildno
Mar31-11, 01:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Lazy crazy daisy??
BobG
Mar31-11, 02:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
That's actually an interesting question. (Looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight...)
Looks like I left out part of that. It's how high can they count on their fingers and toes? That would get most people wondering if I was looking to hire only mutants. Or discriminated against people with a tendency for lawn mower accidents.
Jack21222
Mar31-11, 02:59 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
I think you are better off not working for a company that asks such stupid questions.
NASA? I think I'd take the internship even if they asked me the color of my bowel movement that morning.
qspeechc
Mar31-11, 03:01 PM
P: 792
Quote Quote by dacruick View Post
I resent this comment. Taking the approach that the questions you are being asked in an interview are silly makes you look silly. And that attitude will undoubtedly show through whatever answer you give, pretty much assuring that you don't get the position. Your interviewer has a certain approach that he/she wants to take, and asking questions that put you on the spot can tell you a lot about someones character. People rarely get hired based solely on meeting technical requirements. If you're going to be interviewing 10 people with similar credentials, you need something to set someone apart.
It's odd to say you resent my comment. Are you an interviewer who uses such questions?

Of course if you want a job then you should suck up and play their silly games. But sucking up is sucking up. Maybe you think the question is not silly. Then we have a more fundamental disagreement.

I will admit I went too far when I said "I think you are better off not working for a company that asks such stupid questions". The person interviewing you might not even work for the company, they could be hired to do the interviewing. And even if he or she does work for the company, a sample of 1 person is no reasonable basis to extrapolate. On the other hand, the company must have chose someone they trust to do the interview. So take it how you like.

Register to reply