Register to reply

QCD gluon propagator in axial gauge, polarization sum

Share this thread:
tobias_
Apr1-11, 12:17 PM
P: 2
Hi!

I have a process with multiple feynman diagrams where gluon propagators occur. When I use an axial gauge for the gluon propagator, do I have to use the same n-vector for every propagator? Following this I wonder whether I can use the same n-vector for every polarization sum in axial gauge or have to take different ones.

Thanks, Tobias

gauge field propagator in general axial gauge:
[tex]
G_{\mu\nu}^{ab}(q,\alpha)=\frac{-i\delta^{ab}}{q^{2}}\left(-g^{\mu\nu}-\frac{q_{\mu}n_{\nu}+q_{\nu}n_{\mu}}{qn}+q_{\mu}q_{\nu}\frac{n^{2}+\alp ha q^{2}}{(qn)^{2}}\right)
[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
fzero
Apr1-11, 02:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,603
It seems pretty clear that in deriving the propagator above, one assumes that the vector [tex]n_\mu[/tex] doesn't vary with position. If it did, you would have to compute it's Fourier transform and the momentum space Feynman rules would be more complicated. Similarly, [tex]n_\mu[/tex] is independent of gauge indices, so there's no freedom to choose different values within a given computation.
ParticleGrl
Apr1-11, 04:23 PM
P: 683
Quote Quote by tobias_ View Post
I have a process with multiple feynman diagrams where gluon propagators occur. When I use an axial gauge for the gluon propagator, do I have to use the same n-vector for every propagator? Following this I wonder whether I can use the same n-vector for every polarization sum in axial gauge or have to take different ones.
You can use a different gauge for each external gluon (though you have to be consistent between diagrams).

You can use a different gauge for the internal gluons (different from the external legs), but each internal gluon must be in the same gauge. Changing the vector n is a form of gauge transformation.

Apotheosys
Sep20-12, 04:42 AM
P: 3
QCD gluon propagator in axial gauge, polarization sum

I'm fully aware that this post is over one year old, but could someone provide a source for the above statement or at least scetch if and why this is true?

Register to reply