QCD gluon propagator in axial gauge, polarization sum

by tobias_
Tags: axial gauge, polarization sum, propagator, qcd
tobias_
Apr1-11, 12:17 PM
P: 2
Hi!

I have a process with multiple feynman diagrams where gluon propagators occur. When I use an axial gauge for the gluon propagator, do I have to use the same n-vector for every propagator? Following this I wonder whether I can use the same n-vector for every polarization sum in axial gauge or have to take different ones.

Thanks, Tobias

gauge field propagator in general axial gauge:
[tex]
G_{\mu\nu}^{ab}(q,\alpha)=\frac{-i\delta^{ab}}{q^{2}}\left(-g^{\mu\nu}-\frac{q_{\mu}n_{\nu}+q_{\nu}n_{\mu}}{qn}+q_{\mu}q_{\nu}\frac{n^{2}+\alp ha q^{2}}{(qn)^{2}}\right)
[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
fzero
Apr1-11, 02:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,606
It seems pretty clear that in deriving the propagator above, one assumes that the vector [tex]n_\mu[/tex] doesn't vary with position. If it did, you would have to compute it's Fourier transform and the momentum space Feynman rules would be more complicated. Similarly, [tex]n_\mu[/tex] is independent of gauge indices, so there's no freedom to choose different values within a given computation.
ParticleGrl
Apr1-11, 04:23 PM
P: 669
Quote Quote by tobias_ View Post
I have a process with multiple feynman diagrams where gluon propagators occur. When I use an axial gauge for the gluon propagator, do I have to use the same n-vector for every propagator? Following this I wonder whether I can use the same n-vector for every polarization sum in axial gauge or have to take different ones.
You can use a different gauge for each external gluon (though you have to be consistent between diagrams).

You can use a different gauge for the internal gluons (different from the external legs), but each internal gluon must be in the same gauge. Changing the vector n is a form of gauge transformation.

Apotheosys
Sep20-12, 04:42 AM
P: 3

QCD gluon propagator in axial gauge, polarization sum

I'm fully aware that this post is over one year old, but could someone provide a source for the above statement or at least scetch if and why this is true?

Register to reply