Work done by force (Vector notation)

by Gold3nlily
Tags: force, notation, vector, work
Share this thread:
Gold3nlily
Apr3-11, 11:22 AM
P: 42
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much work is done by a force= (2x)i N + (3)j N with x in meters, that moves a particle from a position (initial) = (2m)i + (3m)j to a position (final) = (-4m)i + (-3m)j?

Answer:
- 6 J

2. Relevant equations

Work = integral of Force

3. The attempt at a solution

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
W = 12 i -18 j
W magnitude = 21.6J

I realize I am doing this wrong becasue the Magnitude will always be positive and the answer (from back of book) is negative.

I tried this in a similar way where I took the difference between the two position vector and then placed it in the integral
rd = (-6) i + (-6) j
Got W = 36 i + 18 j
still wrong.

Help, pretty please?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Rasalhague
Apr3-11, 12:20 PM
P: 1,402
To save typing all the i's and j's, I'll use the notation (2,3) = 2i + 3j. I'll also cut corners by leaving out the units.

Assuming the movement is in a straight line, we can parameterize the particle's path from the initial point (2,3) to the final point (-4,-3) by an equation such as

[tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x,y) = (2,3) - t(6,6), \enspace 0 \leq t \leq 1.[/tex]

-(6,6) is the displacement vector from the initial point to the final point, that is, the difference between them.

Then [itex]x=2-6t[/itex], and

[tex]d\mathbf{r} = (dx,dy) = -(6,6) dt.[/tex]

So

[tex]\int_{\mathbf{r}(0)}^{\mathbf{r}(1)} \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{(2,3)}^{(-4,-3)}(2x,3) \cdot (dx,dy) = \int_{0}^{1}(42-72t) \; dt = -6[/tex]
Gold3nlily
Apr3-11, 01:16 PM
Quote Quote by Rasalhague View Post

[tex]=\int_{(2,3)}^{(-4,-3)}(2x,3) \cdot (dx,dy) = \int_{0}^{1}(42-72t) \; dt = -6[/tex]
Thank you Rasalhague. But how did you get from (2x,3) to (42-72t)? I don't understand.

Rasalhague
Apr3-11, 02:21 PM
P: 1,402
Work done by force (Vector notation)

Oopsh, sorry, I missed out a minus in front of the integral on the right. Are the following steps clear?

[tex]x = 2 - 6t[/tex]

[tex](2x,3) = (2(2-6t),3) = (4-12t,3)[/tex]

[tex](4-12t,3) \cdot (-6,-6) = -6(4-12t) - 18 = -42 + 72t.[/itex]

-(6,6) comes from differentiating [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex].
Gold3nlily
Apr9-11, 05:07 PM
Quote Quote by Rasalhague View Post
Oopsh, sorry, I missed out a minus in front of the integral on the right. Are the following steps clear?

[tex]x = 2 - 6t[/tex]

[tex](2x,3) = (2(2-6t),3) = (4-12t,3)[/tex]

[tex](4-12t,3) \cdot (-6,-6) = -6(4-12t) - 18 = -42 + 72t.[/itex]

-(6,6) comes from differentiating [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex].
Hi Rasalhague. Thank you for helping me.

My test is this Wednesday, but I have lots of other tests so sorry about the delay.

A couple things:

1) where did time come from? The question never mentioned it- only position.

2) I understand this:
r = (-6) i + (-6) j
r = -(6,6)

3) where does this come from: x=2-6t (I think this is an extension of being confused about the time)?

Why is integral not (x^2)i + (3x) j ???

Thank you again for your help and I am sorry if I am difficult.
Gold3nlily
Apr10-11, 09:24 AM
The reason time confuses me is that isn't POWER change in work over time? I thought the difference between Force and power is whether your taking the derivative of work with respect to time or with respect to position....?
Gold3nlily
Apr10-11, 01:10 PM
Okay, I figured out what I did wrong. I had this part right:

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
W = 12 i -18 j

What I needed to do was subtract 18 from 12
W = 12 - 18 = -6 (answer!)

I wasn't doing this becasue I thought they were sepearte becasue of the separate components. Wow, I can't believe I was so close for so long!

I still don't completely understand why you just add i and j together to find work instead of finding the magnitude... but it works for many similar book problems so I know this is the right way to do it.

Thanks for the help. :)

Register to reply