Calculating Impact Speed of Meteor Falling from 811 km

In summary, the formula for finding the speed of a meteor just before it strikes a bed of sand is V=GMm/R+r - GMm/R, where V is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, m is the mass of the meteor, R is the radius of the Earth, and r is the distance of the meteor from the center of the Earth. This formula is based on the conservation of mechanical energy, where the decrease in gravitational potential energy is equal to the increase in kinetic energy.
strugglin-physics
A meteor has a speed of 83.0 m/s when 811 km above the Earth. It is falling vertically (ignore air resistance) and strikes a bed of sand in which it is brought to rest in 3.31 m. What is its speed just before striking the sand?

So here is the formula that I have but it doesn't give me the right answer.
v=square root of (Vi^2 + 2G(Mass of the Earth)/(Radius of the Earth*1-1/3.31)
I get 9337.6 m/s.

Does anyone see where my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the following expression for potential energy

[tex]V = -GMm/r [/tex]

In the [tex]r[/tex] above, don't forget to inculde Earth's radius too.

Use energy conservation for the initial point and the point just before striking.

You don't need to do anything with the sand

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

With the above equation, you need to use it twice! You must find the difference in PE between the two distances from the Earth's center. THe change in PE equals the gain in KE.

It occurs to me. Wouldn't it be neat to see a meteor that ignores air resistance?

So you mean use the formula
V=GMm/R+r - GMm/R and that will give me the velocity just before it hits? What about the initial velocity? Does that go in there somewhere?

strugglin-physics said:
V=GMm/R+r - GMm/R and that will give me the velocity just before it hits? What about the initial velocity? Does that go in there somewhere?
As Vector Sum and spacetime have explained, mechanical energy is conserved. This means that the decrease in gravitational PE will equal the increase in kinetic energy.

strugglin-physics said:
V=GMm/R+r - GMm/R and that will give me the velocity just before it hits? QUOTE]
That forumula is correct for increase in KE.

Remember KE = 1/2 mv^2. This formula ought to be imprinted on the inside of your eyelids.

1. What is the formula for calculating the impact speed of a meteor?

The formula for calculating the impact speed of a meteor is V = √(2GM/R), where V is the impact speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the meteor, and R is the distance between the meteor and the center of the Earth.

2. How do you determine the mass of a meteor?

The mass of a meteor can be determined by using its size and density. Scientists can also analyze the composition of the meteor to estimate its mass.

3. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to measure the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

4. Why is the impact speed of a meteor important to calculate?

The impact speed of a meteor is important to calculate because it can help scientists understand the potential damage and destruction that a meteor impact could cause. It can also provide valuable information for developing strategies to protect against potential impacts in the future.

5. Can the impact speed of a meteor be accurately predicted?

The impact speed of a meteor can be accurately predicted, but it is influenced by various factors such as the meteor's trajectory, composition, and atmospheric conditions. Therefore, it may not always be possible to predict the exact impact speed with complete accuracy.