I am stuck at this part

3. The attempt at a solution

So I managed to find the determinant, which is:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]^3 -5[tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 -3[tex]\lambda[/tex] +9

The Eigenvalues are:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]1 = 1
[tex]\lambda[/tex]2 = -3
[tex]\lambda[/tex]3 = -3

Now I'm trying to solve for the eigenvector of eigenvalue 1, however manipulating the matrix does not yield anything that I can use to solve for k1 k2 and k3

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
HallsofIvy
Apr6-11, 05:13 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
An eigenvector [tex]\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex] corresponding to eigenvalue 1 must, of course, satisfy
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & -2 \\ 0 & 2 & -5\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x - y \\ -y- 2z \\ 2y- 5z \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
Which means we must solve x- y= x, -y- 2z= y, 2y- 5z= z. From the first, equation, subtracting x from both sides, -y= 0 so y= 0. Putting that into both of the other equations, z= 0. Therefore, any eigenvector must be of the form <x, 0, 0>.
chris_0101
Apr6-11, 09:02 AM
P: 71
Hey, thanks for the response, I now understand what you have mentioned. Now I have run into another issue, finding the third eigenvector. I managed to find the second eigenvector for eigenvalue2, which is <1,4,4>. Now the third eigenvalue is the same as the second so I would assume that the eigenvector will be the same however this is not the case. Using Wolfram alpha, the third eigenvector is <0,0,0> and I don't know how to get this eigenvector. Any help would be great,
Thanks

Register to reply