Register to reply

Calculating distance using spring constant, mass and velocity? (Really basic stuff )

by grbmrdj
Tags: basic, constant, distance, mass, spring, velocity
Share this thread:
grbmrdj
Apr6-11, 04:11 AM
P: 1
Hi I have a physics exam tomorrow, and I just realized we haven't covered either impulse or spring constants, and about 1 1/2 hours left to study. From a practice exam, please someone help me out?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A high impact crash helmet is glued onto a floor and a 5.0kg steel ball is dropped from a certain height in the helmet padding. The ball hits the helmet padding at 0.85m/s. The spring constant of the padding amterial is 35kN/m.

2. Relevant equations

distance = Force/spring constant(k)
Most likely an impulse on as well

3. The attempt at a solution

d=F/k
impulse = mv = 5 x 0.85 = 4.25
d = 4.25 / 35000 = 1.2 x 10^-4

This one is not so important:
Also, in a previous question, they gave a linear graph, at one point, N = 300 and displacement = 0.06 metres. Find the spring constant?

I got
k = f/d = 300/0.06 = 5000 N/m

Is this right? (Couldn't find the answer's to the practice exam)

Also, any tips on learning these in about 20 minutes? Thanks, and sorry for massive post.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice

Register to reply