The difference between precalculus and trigonometry?

by Jurrasic
Tags: difference, precalculus, trigonometry
Jurrasic
Apr13-11, 08:40 PM
P: 101
OK at the 2 year college here, they offer ONLY trig , and you take that after college algebra, and before you take calculus, and the counselors at the 2 year college all say that, trig and precalculus mean the same thing there, which is weird, because, then if you look at the classes offered at another nearby 2 year college, strangely, they offer trig AND precalculus, so what's the difference between the two?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
frozenguy
Apr13-11, 08:55 PM
P: 190
At my 2 year, they have trig and pre-calculus separate. Trig was straight trig. Functions, identities, graphing, deriving, etc. Pre calculus if I remember correctly was mainly analyzing functions and their graphs. Exponential, logarithmic, polynomial, rational, trig functions mainly. Touch on conic sections and vectors as well I think. Maybe some complex numbers.
cepheid
Apr13-11, 08:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,198
Just by simple logic, pre-calculus should contain all of the mathematics necessary in order to understand calculus. This includes, but is not limited to trigonometry.

Other things ought to be included in pre-calculus, like functions, or analytic geometry. Maybe some algebra that hasn't already been covered.

Bogrune
Apr16-11, 01:50 AM
P: 60

The difference between precalculus and trigonometry?

Trig was straight trig. Functions, identities, graphing, deriving, etc.
This is all I could agree on about trigonometry since I've never taken it before.
However, for Precalculus, I can say that it includes only the "essentials" of trigonometry, such as graphs of all six functions and the inverse functions, right-triangle trig., analytic trigonometry, the very basics of vector analysis, and the very basics of Analytic Geometry. Also, the other material that is discussed that pretty much has nothing to do with trig. includes functions and their graphs, linear, absolute-value, quadratic, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic and rational functions, sequences and series, matrices, conics, and an introduction to limits. All the material needed to get you ready for the world of Calculus.
Jurrasic
Apr16-11, 03:16 PM
Quote Quote by frozenguy View Post
At my 2 year, they have trig and pre-calculus separate. Trig was straight trig. Functions, identities, graphing, deriving, etc. Pre calculus if I remember correctly was mainly analyzing functions and their graphs. Exponential, logarithmic, polynomial, rational, trig functions mainly. Touch on conic sections and vectors as well I think. Maybe some complex numbers.
That explains quite a bit. Thanks :)
Chunkysalsa
Apr16-11, 05:58 PM
P: 311
at my school Precalculus = college algebra + trig. Though trig usually only has like a couple of sections while precalc and algebra have millions.
QuarkCharmer
Apr16-11, 06:19 PM
P: 1,035
Check the syllabus for the course and see what is included?
Jurrasic
May4-11, 12:04 AM
Quote Quote by Chunkysalsa View Post
at my school Precalculus = college algebra + trig. Though trig usually only has like a couple of sections while precalc and algebra have millions.
Yeah thanks that's really helpful. They actually have the same thing at this school with hardly any trig classes but tons of college algebra, and about 4 different calculus classes.
Jurrasic
May4-11, 12:06 AM
Quote Quote by QuarkCharmer View Post
Check the syllabus for the course and see what is included?
It's not really cool at all, but they don't tell you any details other than the prerequisite and the days of week that the class is nothing ever about what the course covers, they make you wait until you get to see the syllabus, but you could always go to the book store and browse the books for any sections you're curious about
mege
May4-11, 12:34 AM
P: 193
Quote Quote by Jurrasic View Post
It's not really cool at all, but they don't tell you any details other than the prerequisite and the days of week that the class is nothing ever about what the course covers, they make you wait until you get to see the syllabus, but you could always go to the book store and browse the books for any sections you're curious about
Is there a Course Catalog/Bulletin which has descriptions seperately from the Course Schedule? (there should be, the bulletin/catalog usually is good for a year or more, whereas the schedule is only good for the single term)

Register to reply