coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

by PRodQuanta
Tags: coalescence, meson, neutron
PRodQuanta
Aug18-03, 03:51 PM
P: 354
I think it is simply the coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson. What are your thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
bdkeenan00
Aug19-03, 12:13 PM
P: 49
sounds logical
jcsd
Aug19-03, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
Looking at it's quark content (uudds) it's obvious it has the same quark content as a neutron and a K+ indeed those are the two particles it decays into, I'm not sure how it's formed though.

bdkeenan00
Aug19-03, 12:31 PM

coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

I have read that it is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei and what happens next is beyond me
Brad_Ad23
Aug19-03, 01:55 PM
P: 499
It is merely the coalescence of the neutron and the K+ meson. I believe that is what the original article on this read awhile ago.
bdkeenan00
Aug19-03, 02:44 PM
So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?
bdkeenan00
Aug19-03, 02:45 PM
So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?
jcsd
Aug19-03, 04:50 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
IIRC it's thought to be about 10-20 which is pretty short even for an elementary particle.

Register to reply