Register to reply

Question about oscillating currents. (the sign of the phase constant)

by LogicX
Tags: constant, currents, oscillating, phase, sign
Share this thread:
LogicX
Apr24-11, 05:24 PM
P: 181
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is more of a conceptual problem I'm having with in a problem. I'm trying to find the phase constant of the equation for a capacitor that is charging at time zero. I'm having trouble with figuring out what sign the phase constant should have.

2. Relevant equations

q=Qcos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+ [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

dq/dt=-[tex]\omega[/tex]Q sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I know the max charge on the capacitor, and I know q at time zero, so I solved for the angle. I just don't know how to determine it's sign (the answer is positive).

So here is one way of thinking about it:

dq/dt should be positive because the capacitor is charging. Therefore -[tex]\omega[/tex]Q sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) must be positive which only happens when I choose the negative angle. Voila, the angle is negative if it is charging.

BUT, I thought that if the capacitor was charging, the current should be decreasing? So how can dq/dt (which is the current) be positive if the capacitor is charging? Based on the two equations for energy U=q^2/2C and U=Li^2/2, if the charge increases the current must decrease to conserve energy.

I seem to be contradicting myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. The current is decreasing, but it is still positive for the capacitor to be charging.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces

Register to reply