Potential magnet damage to laptop HDD

by cobalt124
Tags: damage, laptop, magnet, potential
Share this thread:
cobalt124
May4-11, 03:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 147
My specific question is can the magnets in an Ashton BA15 40W bass amp damage the HDD in a laptop (we have a Samsung about a year and a quarter old and an Acer about a year old). I've read the following threads:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...ghlight=magnet
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...ghlight=magnet

so I'm sure the only possible damage would be to the HDD, which I'm fairly certain would be safe, but not quite certain enough. Can anybody raise my certainty levels?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
AlephZero
May4-11, 06:46 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
Modern speakers intended for use with computers are magnetically sheilded so they are safe (provided you read and follow the instructions!)

With older speaker systems, it's a toss-up. On the one hand they were usually not sheilded, but on the other hand they tended to have weaker magnets.

Quote Quote by cobalt124 View Post
so I'm sure the only possible damage would be to the HDD, which I'm fairly certain would be safe, but not quite certain enough. Can anybody raise my certainty levels?
That's not a very sensible question IMO. Your "personal confidence level" has absolutely nothing to do with whether the laptop will be damaged or not!

The only possible answer is "well, it might be damaged"...
DaleSwanson
May4-11, 07:42 PM
P: 351
If you are just looking to sit a laptop on top of a speaker then I think you'll be fine. It might be worth just getting a piece of iron and seeing just how much of a magnetic field there is in the area you are going to put the laptop. It is also worth pointing out that hard drives have strong magnets in them. Modern hard drives are pretty resilient to magnetic fields and it would take a pretty strong field to cause data loss. The strip on a credit card is much more sensitive than a hard drive. Anywhere your wallet survives without wiping the credit cards is going to be safe for a laptop.

cobalt124
May6-11, 06:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 147
Potential magnet damage to laptop HDD

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Modern speakers intended for use with computers are magnetically sheilded so they are safe (provided you read and follow the instructions!)
The speakers are about four years old, and we have lost the instructions.

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
That's not a very sensible question IMO. Your "personal confidence level" has absolutely nothing to do with whether the laptop will be damaged or not!

The only possible answer is "well, it might be damaged"...
...and so you don't put the laptop anywhere near the speakers! Yep, I see your point. And if it were my speaker and amp that is what I would be doing. Problem solved. However, this isn't an option which is why I'm asking.

Quote Quote by DaleSwanson View Post
If you are just looking to sit a laptop on top of a speaker then I think you'll be fine. It might be worth just getting a piece of iron and seeing just how much of a magnetic field there is in the area you are going to put the laptop. It is also worth pointing out that hard drives have strong magnets in them. Modern hard drives are pretty resilient to magnetic fields and it would take a pretty strong field to cause data loss. The strip on a credit card is much more sensitive than a hard drive. Anywhere your wallet survives without wiping the credit cards is going to be safe for a laptop.
I'm now more confident that it's OK, but personally I still wouldn't do it.

Register to reply