Register to reply

How to calculate gravitational force?

by mdmaaz
Tags: gravity
Share this thread:
mdmaaz
May10-11, 06:57 AM
P: 41
What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects of a given mass? It's a really simple question. But I'm just a thirteen year old who desperately wants to know.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
ZapperZ
May10-11, 07:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Please bookmark the Hyperphysics website.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/grav.html

Zz.
mdmaaz
May10-11, 07:23 AM
Thanks, I can understand gravity so much more better now!

mdmaaz
May10-11, 07:27 AM
How to calculate gravitational force?

What do the letters in the formula stand for? Would really appreciate it if you tell me.
mdmaaz
May10-11, 07:34 AM
I know the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses. In the formula "G" means gravitational constant. The gravitational constant is 6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1. But what does "6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1 mean"?
I would really appreciate it if give me an example of calculating gravitational force between two objects.
Disconnected
May10-11, 12:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 110
Quote Quote by mdmaaz View Post
I know the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses. In the formula "G" means gravitational constant. The gravitational constant is 6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1. But what does "6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1 mean"?
I would really appreciate it if give me an example of calculating gravitational force between two objects.
Hey, mdmaaz.

The units of the universal gravitational constant G, N m^2 kg^-2, N is shorthand for Newtons, the measure of force. m is for metre, kg is for kilogram. The units can sorta be thought as being the way they are due to the units of the other variables in the equation.

F(gravity) is the force due to the gravitation attraction between the two object. G is the universal gravitational constant. m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects between which the gravity is acting (for example, between the earth and your body). r is the distance separation between the two objects (notice that earth pulls on you much more then saturn does, despite saturn's much larger mass!) .

Here is a quick example of finding the gravitational force between two objects.

Let's say that object 1 has mass m1=10kg and that object 2 has mass m2=25kg. If they are 10m apart, then the force is given by (from hyperphysics)

F=(6.67*10^-11*10*25)/10^2

F=1.668*10^(-9)N
mdmaaz
May12-11, 08:17 AM
Thanks "Disconnected"! You're awesome dude. I can finally understand how to caclulate gravitational force.

Register to reply