Register to reply

Gram Schmidt Orthonormalization

by theFuture
Tags: gram, orthonormalization, schmidt
Share this thread:
theFuture
Oct26-04, 09:48 PM
P: 80
So I'm to show that the non-zero vector w={v e V|<v,x> = 0} for all x in V that dim(w)=dim(V)-1.

It recommends using the Gram-Schmidt process to prove this but I tried to work it out and I couldn't make any sense of it. Any suggestions on how to start this out?

[edit]: nevermind, I got it. If you were curious, start by saying x is an element of the set S that is linearly independent and spans V. Then do G-S on V and you find that you lose an element of the set, so there you have it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
HallsofIvy
Oct27-04, 08:50 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
I think what you mean to say is "prove that the subspace consisting of all vectors v such that <v, x>= 0 (where x is non-zero) has dimension dim(V)- 1."
Select a basis for V containing x and perform a "Gram-Schmidt" starting the process with x as the first vector (so Gram-Schmidt will give a basis containing one basis vector in the same direction as x).
theFuture
Oct27-04, 11:35 PM
P: 80
That's definitely what I meant, but I copied it verbatim from my crappy book (Messer's Linear Algebra) starting with "show the vector . . ." It's good with proofs, not so good with the math.

Register to reply