Testing new latex processor

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: latex
Ben Niehoff
Aug18-11, 05:59 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,563
Why not choose \$ as the LaTeX delimiter? Then there is no collision with ordinary dollar signs.

Of course, it means you still can't copy and paste directly from LaTeX documents, but with your other solutions, you can't do that anyway.

Edit: Of course, then we'd have trouble writing Perl regular expressions in our posts! How does MathJax work; i.e., when does it run in the processing sequence? It seems to be a Javascript that runs on the completed page, which is long after the vBulletin parser processes the posts. In that case, I think we're stuck with 'itex' and 'tex'.

I would recommend against making the delimiter some random symbol. The $ sign is standardized already, but if it can't be the $ sign, it shouldn't be some other symbol.
Fredrik
Aug18-11, 09:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,000
Quote Quote by Ben Niehoff View Post
Why not choose \$ as the LaTeX delimiter? Then there is no collision with ordinary dollar signs.
It's significantly harder to to type than .
(Edit: If you're that attached to standard usage, doesn't it also bother you that your suggestion is a complete reversal of the default "$ for itex", "\$ for dollar sign"?)

It seems to be a Javascript that runs on the completed page, which is long after the vBulletin parser processes the posts. In that case, I think we're stuck with 'itex' and 'tex'.
As I said, all that's required is a simple edit of a MathJax configuration file. (OK, maybe not if you specifically want to use \$ as a delimiter).
vela
Aug18-11, 11:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,527
I would recommend against making the delimiter some random symbol. The $ sign is standardized already, but if it can't be the $ sign, it shouldn't be some other symbol.
Why not? What's wrong with using something like ##?
Fredrik
Aug19-11, 01:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
The simple option is:
... for itex
$$...$$ for tex

Almost everyone has # and/or on the 3 key, and $ on the 4 key. Most (all?) of the ones who don't can still type those symbols easily.

The complicated option is:
..., ##...##, ..., ... for itex.
$$...$$, ... for tex.

The , and characters are minor improvements for Germans, Spaniards, and French Canadians respectively. The only advantage it has for them is that it allows them to use either Shift+3 for itex and Shift+4 for tex, or Alt Gr+3 for itex and Alt Gr+4 for tex, instead of e.g. Alt Gr+3 for itex and Shift+4 for tex.

Keyboard layouts at Wikipedia.
I had another look a the keyboard layout page. I had forgotten that is a bad option for people with a US keyboard. ## is better for them. But most of the rest of the world should prefer (based on the location on the keyboard), so here's a third option:
##...## or ... for itex
$$...$$ for tex
vela
Aug19-11, 02:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,527
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
##...## or ... for itex
$$...$$ for tex
I'd modify that slightly to ##…## and … for itex.
Redbelly98
Aug19-11, 07:22 AM
Mentor
P: 11,989
I think you both mean the same thing.

A person could use either ##...## or ... for itex, and it would work.

Both ##…## and … would work for itex.
Juqon
Aug21-11, 03:58 AM
P: 27
Why is my latex code not processed?
[itex]\frac{i \hbar t}{m}[\itex]
[itex]\frac{i\hbart}{m}[\itex]
[itex]\frac{i\hbar t}{m}[\itex]
Fredrik
Aug21-11, 04:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Juqon View Post
Why is my latex code not processed?
Your closing itex tags are wrong. Use /, not \.
Juqon
Aug21-11, 05:12 AM
Oh, of course, thank you! :)
Juqon
Aug21-11, 05:50 AM
And what about this code?

http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...33&postcount=6
Redbelly98
Aug21-11, 07:03 AM
Mentor
P: 11,989
As a start, you need to put some spaces in with that code. After 50 consecutive characters without a space, the processor will automatically insert a space.

By the way, you don't need the {} brackets when they surround a single character, i.e. t^{2} can be simply replaced with t^2. That will give you fewer brackets, and be easier to debug in case the numbers of {'s and }'s don't match.
Borek
Aug21-11, 07:03 AM
Admin
P: 22,691
First - split it into separate equations replacing \\ with [/tex][tex] - you will see some of the equations are parsed correctly, while others are not.
Fredrik
Aug21-11, 07:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
What the other two guys said. As an alternative to multiple tex tags, use the align environment. That will make the \\ code work. Like this: \begin{align}
a &= b\\
&=c
\end{align} Tex tags are actually not necessary when the latex code starts with a begin statement, and ends with the corresponding end statement.

Also, please don't post equations with lines that are that long. They are seriously annoying in a browser window. So please insert a few extra \\ to make the lines shorter.
Juqon
Aug21-11, 09:06 AM
Absolutely right, and the space broke the command \r ight.
And that with the new line separation was very motivating.
Very helpful, thanks!
paul-g
Aug30-11, 06:18 AM
P: 12
Hello!
I am writing because I do not know how to write the following formula in MathJax

I have read this entire thread and information about extracurricular parentheses, but in this case it's not that simple.

Did you have problems with habits relating to of the old system?

What about tables? It is not possible to create them?

[itex]\small\overbrace{a,...,a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \underbrace{b,...,b}_{\mbox{l b's}}\hspace{10} \large\underbrace{\overbrace{a...a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \overbrace{b...b}^{\mbox{l b's}}}_{\mbox{k+l elements}}[/itex]

[itex]\small\overbrace{a,...,a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \underbrace{b,...,b}_{\mbox{l b's}}\hspace{10pt} \large\underbrace{\overbrace{a...a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \overbrace{b...b}^{\mbox{l b's}}}_{\mbox{k+l elements}}[/itex]

[itex]\left[ \frac{X}{Y}\right ][/itex]

On mathtex that gives
Fredrik
Aug30-11, 07:28 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by paul-g View Post
I am writing because I do not know how to write the following formula in MathJax
You can't open with "tex" and close with "itex" or vice versa. You need to specify a unit for the hspace command. Note sure about the tables.

[tex]\small\overbrace{a,...,a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \underbrace{b,...,b}_{\mbox{l b's}}\hspace{10pt} \large\underbrace{\overbrace{a...a}^{\mbox{k a's}}, \overbrace{b...b}^{\mbox{l b's}}}_{\mbox{k+l elements}}[/tex]
[tex]\left[ \frac{X}{Y}\right ][/tex]
paul-g
Aug30-11, 08:13 AM
P: 12
The fact that I forgot to define the / hspace number of the unit, but it worked for MathTex.

Thank you anyway.

I will experiment a bit with the tables.

Register to reply