Register to reply

Radius of a circle that intersects two points on a right triangle.

by dgoldman86
Tags: circle, intersects, points, radius, triangle
Share this thread:
dgoldman86
May18-11, 09:06 PM
P: 3
I'm trying to figure out the radius of a circle that intersects two points on a right triangle. One side of the triangle is tangent to the circle and the other intersects it. I have attached an image that helps further explain what I'm talking about. Knowing what I have listed in the image is there anyway to determine the radius of that circle?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Circle.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
henry_m
May19-11, 05:55 AM
P: 160
Try using coordinate geometry. Let the point where the triangle is tangent to the circle be the origin, and let that side of the circle run parallel to the x-axis. What's the equation of the circle? What are the coordinates of the point where the triangle touches the circle?
jorgealnino
May22-11, 03:37 AM
P: 3
How about this

Call the vertex of your right triangle [itex](c_1,r,c2)[/itex] with [itex]c_1[/itex] tangent to the circle and [itex]r[/itex] the vertex at the right angle. Let [itex]o[/itex] be the center of your circle.
Now construct the square [itex](o,c_1,r,s)[/itex].
Observe that [itex]c_2[/itex] is on the square side [itex](r,q)[/itex] and use pythagoras.

Register to reply