Jet Fuels: JP-8 (3773) vs. JP-8 (4177)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet
In summary, JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177) are both types of jet fuels used by the military. The main difference between them is their freezing point, with JP-8 (3773) having a lower freezing point of -50 degrees Celsius and JP-8 (4177) having a higher freezing point of -47 degrees Celsius. JP-8 (3773) is the more commonly used jet fuel by the military, due to its lower freezing point making it more suitable for use in cold weather conditions. Aside from their freezing points, there are a few other minor differences between the two jet fuels, such as flash point and specific gravity. They are not interchangeable due to their different chemical compositions,
Saladsamurai
Can anybody point me in the direction of some documentation that can help me to distinguish between these two fuels? I have been searching for hours and I keep coming across articles that use these as sample fuels in experiments, but none that actually describes the numbering convention?

I understand that JP-8 Jet A + additives, but what are the differences between the JP-8's themselves?

I have also see it as JP-8 POSF 3773 and JP-8 POSF 4177.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The POSF numbers appear to be identifiers for specific fuel samples from Wright Patterson A/F Base, produced by different methods.

This gives the composition of 3773 (and two others, but not 4177).

http://idea.library.drexel.edu/bitstream/1860/3125/1/Kurman%20_Matthew%20S.pdf

I suspect there isn't any "numbering convention", except that 3774 is the next sample after 3773.

Presumably WPAB keeps a database ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I can try to help you out with some information about JP-8 and Jet A fuels. Both of these fuels are commonly used in aviation, but they do have some distinct differences.

First, let's start with Jet A. This fuel is a kerosene-based fuel that is used in commercial and civilian aircraft. It is also commonly used in ground vehicles and heating systems. Jet A has a lower freezing point and is less volatile than other aviation fuels, making it safer to handle and transport. It is also cheaper than other aviation fuels, making it a popular choice for commercial airlines.

Now, let's talk about JP-8. This fuel is a type of military jet fuel that is very similar to Jet A, but with some added additives. These additives give JP-8 a higher flash point and improved thermal stability, making it more suitable for military operations in extreme conditions. JP-8 is also more expensive than Jet A due to the added additives.

As for the numbering convention, JP-8 fuels are assigned different numbers based on their composition and performance characteristics. The numbers you mentioned, POSF 3773 and POSF 4177, are specific designations for JP-8 fuels used by the military. These designations indicate the specific additives and performance characteristics of the fuel.

In summary, Jet A and JP-8 are both kerosene-based fuels used in aviation, with JP-8 being a type of military jet fuel with added additives for improved performance. The numbers used to designate JP-8 fuels indicate their specific composition and performance characteristics. I hope this helps clarify the differences between these two fuels.

1. What is the difference between JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177)?

JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177) are both types of jet fuels used by the military. The main difference between them is their freezing point. JP-8 (3773) has a lower freezing point of -50 degrees Celsius, while JP-8 (4177) has a higher freezing point of -47 degrees Celsius.

2. Which jet fuel is more commonly used by the military?

JP-8 (3773) is the more commonly used jet fuel by the military. This is because it has a lower freezing point, making it more suitable for use in cold weather conditions.

3. Are there any other differences between the two jet fuels?

Aside from their freezing points, there are a few other minor differences between JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177). JP-8 (4177) has a slightly higher flash point, meaning it is less likely to ignite in high-temperature environments. It also has a slightly lower specific gravity, meaning it is slightly less dense than JP-8 (3773).

4. Can both jet fuels be used interchangeably?

While both JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177) are similar types of jet fuels, they are not interchangeable. The freezing point difference between the two means they have different chemical compositions, which can affect the performance of the aircraft. It is important to use the designated jet fuel for each aircraft to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. Is one jet fuel more environmentally friendly than the other?

Both JP-8 (3773) and JP-8 (4177) are considered to have similar environmental impacts. However, JP-8 (4177) has a lower sulfur content, which can make it slightly more environmentally friendly. Additionally, efforts are being made to develop alternative, more environmentally friendly jet fuels, such as biofuels, for use in the military.