Maximizing Energy Efficiency: Calculating Tabeshband Width and Window Height

• Thread starter trina1990
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Persian architecture element "Tabeshband" which controls sunlight in summer and winter, and the potential energy-saving benefits in modern architecture. The participants discuss the calculations for determining the maximum width of the Tabeshband and the maximum height of the window to prevent direct sunlight in the summer and allow it in the winter, with a height of 3m and width of 4.50m. One participant used the altitude of the sun on the solstices to calculate these values, while another suggests using basic geometry to determine the sun's altitude.
trina1990

Homework Statement

In a typical Persian architecture, on top of south side windows there is a
structure called "Tabeshband" (shader), which controls sunlight in summer and winter. In
summer when the Sun is high, Tabeshband prevents sunlight to enter rooms and keeps
inside cooler. In the modern architecture it is verified that the Tabeshband saves about 20%
of energy cost. Figure (1) shows a vertical section of this design at latitude of 36°. 0 N with
window and Tabeshband.

calculate the maximum width of the Tabeshband,
X, and maximum height of the window , H in such a way that:
i) No direct sunlight can enter to the room in the summer solstice at noon.
ii) The direct sunlight reaches the end of the room on the opposite lower corner side of the window(indicated by the point A in the
figure) in the winter solstice at noon.

provided that the height of the room is 3m & width is 4.50m?

Homework Equations

to solve it out i run the stellarium to determine the altitude of sun at summer solstice for that latitude & found it to be approximately 70 degree..then i applied
tan 20=X/3 & answered the X=1.637m

for height of the window i found out the altitude at window solstice to be 20 degree & i applied tan20=H1/4.5=1.63 then H=1.36

my question is if the process's to solve it was right & if there any other convenient process to solve it out?

The Attempt at a Solution

ere's a link for the original thread
Attached Files
ioaa2009theoreticalshortproblems.pdf (146.4 KB, 2 views)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your link to the image file doesn't seem to work, so I can't comment on your solution other than to say that you might have worked out the Sun's altitude on the solstices using basic geometry, knowing that the Earth's axial tilt is about 23.4 degrees.

1. What is the significance of calculating tabeshband width and window height for energy efficiency?

Calculating tabeshband width and window height is crucial for maximizing energy efficiency in a building. This is because these measurements help determine the amount of natural light and heat that can enter a space, which affects the amount of energy needed for lighting, heating, and cooling. By optimizing these measurements, a building can reduce its energy consumption and lower its carbon footprint.

2. How is tabeshband width calculated?

Tabeshband width is calculated by measuring the distance between the outer edges of the window frame. This measurement should be taken at the widest point of the window, including any protruding elements such as window sills or frames. The tabeshband width is an important factor in determining the amount of natural light that can enter a space.

3. What is the ideal tabeshband width for maximum energy efficiency?

The ideal tabeshband width for maximum energy efficiency depends on the climate and orientation of the building. In general, a wider tabeshband width allows for more natural light to enter a space, reducing the need for artificial lighting during the day. However, in hot climates, a narrower tabeshband width may be more suitable to prevent excessive heat gain.

4. How is window height calculated for energy efficiency?

Window height is calculated by measuring the distance from the bottom of the window frame to the top of the window frame. This measurement is important for determining the amount of natural light and ventilation that can enter a space. A taller window allows for more natural light and air circulation, which can reduce the need for artificial lighting and cooling.

5. Can maximizing tabeshband width and window height alone improve energy efficiency?

No, maximizing tabeshband width and window height alone cannot improve energy efficiency. These measurements should be considered in conjunction with other energy-efficient features, such as proper insulation, sealing of air leaks, and using energy-efficient materials for windows and frames. Additionally, occupant behavior and energy conservation practices also play a significant role in maximizing energy efficiency in a building.