Anyone a Riemann Surface guru?

In summary, the function takes 1 to 0 and -1 to infin and is branched at 1 and -1. The map taking t to (t^2 + 1)/2t = z makes the function single valued.
T-O7
So I'm supposed to describe the riemann surface of the following map:
[tex]w=z-\sqrt{z^2-1}[/tex]
I can sort of understand the basic idea and derivation behind the riemann surfaces of [tex]w=e^z[/tex] and [tex]w=\sqrt{z}[/tex],
but ask me a question about another mapping, and I really don't know where to begin. How does one attack a problem like this? i.e. how do you know where exactly the map is single-valued? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
so i guess no one knows about this...?

MAT354? ew is single valued on those strips, and it maps those strips onto the plane - {0}, so you want to take the plane - {0} and make a cut such that log(z) maps the cut onto the lines separating those strips. wn is single valued on the sectors, and it maps each sector onto a plane, so you want to take a plane and make a cut such that z1/n maps the cut onto the lines separating those sectors. 1/2(w + 1/w) is single valued outside the unit circle, and inside the unit circle, and it maps each of those regions onto the plane, so you want to take the plane and make a cut such that [itex]z - \sqrt{z^2-1}[/itex] maps the cut onto the boundary separating those 1-1 regions, namely the unit circle. This function maps the interval [-1,1] to that circle, so that's where you make the cut. In the log example, there are infinitely many 1-1 regions (fundamental regions) so you have infinitely many planes that you cut and glue together. In the z1/n example, there are n fundamental regions so you have n planes. You want to make z1/n single-valued, so for points where it's many valued, you want to make a Riemann surface that makes this one piont into many points, so that instead of one point corresponding to many points, you have many points corresponding to many, in a 1-1 way. But 0 is a point that is not many-to-1, so when you have your n-separate planes, you still only want 1 point on the entire Riemann surface corresponding to 0.

In this problem you're doing, -1 and 1 are the only single valued points of the function. So although you have two planes planes, you want their -1 points to be attached, and their 1 points to be attached, because you don't need to make two different copies of 1. The rest of the points are two-valued, so you need two sheets which each have a point corresponding to that one point.

this is a multipvalued function, and the riemann surface should have one poinr for each value. but look at your function, it is at most 2 valued sionce it is a square root.

so look where it ahs actually only one value, that would be at 1 and -1. so your riemann surface is a 2 to 1 covewring of the z plane, with only one point oevr 1 and one point over -1. so if you include the point at infinity, it is some compact surface mapping 2 to 1 onto the sphere, and branched at 1 and -1 and possibly at infinmiyt.

now can you figure out:

1) is infinitya ctually a branch point?

2) what is the topology of the covering surface?answers upside down at bottom of page.

bottom of page: (encrypted): the function u -->u^2 is 2 tp 1 and branched over 0 and infin, and the function z --> (z-1)/(z+1) takes 1 to 0 and -1 to infin, so the composition of these two and the inverse of the latter takes 1 to 1 and -1 to -1 and is branched at both. thus the map taking t to
(t^2 + 1)/2t = z, makes your function single valued. since
then z - sqrt(z^2-1) =
(t^2+1)/2t - (t^2-1)/2t = 1/t.

and since (t^2 + 1)/2t = z, note then t^2 -2zt + 1 = 0, so

t = +2z + sqrt(4z^2 - 4)/2 = z + sqrt(z^2 -1), as desired.

or maybe i have it upside down.

Incidentally, can you see that the covering space is a torus?

Well at least I think its a torus at least at first glance. You'd want to glue the two sheets together around the branch points -1 and 1. You have to check infinity as that can be a problem as well.

As an aside, if it *is* a torus (and I am pretty sure it is) the problem would have been solvable via other means. Jacobi theta functions and Weierstrass Z functs (as well as PDEs) to name a few

Last edited:
Actually I've changed my mind, (i'd need to sit down and do this with a pen and paper and glue things together properly) but I now think the topology is simply S^2.

The Riemann surface then would be equivalent to something like W = sqrt ((z-1)(z+1))

To get a torus you'd need another root (I think)

1. What is a Riemann Surface?

A Riemann Surface is a type of mathematical surface that is used in complex analysis to describe the behavior of complex functions. It is named after the German mathematician Bernhard Riemann, who first introduced the concept in the mid-19th century.

2. How is a Riemann Surface different from a regular surface?

A Riemann Surface is different from a regular surface in that it is a two-dimensional surface that can be represented in three-dimensional space. It also has the property that each point on the surface has a corresponding complex number associated with it.

3. What are some real-world applications of Riemann Surfaces?

Riemann Surfaces have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics, including the study of algebraic curves, complex dynamics, and the Riemann Hypothesis in number theory. They are also used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of particles and fields in quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. How can someone become a Riemann Surface guru?

Becoming a Riemann Surface guru requires a strong foundation in complex analysis and advanced mathematics. This can be achieved through studying mathematics at the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as participating in research projects and attending conferences and workshops related to Riemann Surfaces.

5. Are there any open problems or unsolved questions related to Riemann Surfaces?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions related to Riemann Surfaces, including the Riemann Hypothesis and the classification of all possible Riemann Surfaces. There is ongoing research in this field, and new discoveries are constantly being made by mathematicians around the world.