Comparing Max. Voltage of Complex Waveforms in Excel and Simulation

In summary: In this case, it would be simple enough to use a calculus or trigonometry class to find the points of inflection. In summary, the max.voltage of the complex sinewave in Excel is different from the simulated complex waveform. Which one is correct?
Cooler
Hi...i have question on RLC circuit. Why my max.voltage of complex sinewave in Excel is different from the simulated complex waveform? which one is right?

max.voltage of complex waveform in excel = 106.8V

max.voltage of complex waveform in simulation = 126.8V

Should it be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cooler said:
Hi...i have question on RLC circuit. Why my max.voltage of complex sinewave in Excel is different from the simulated complex waveform? which one is right?

max.voltage of complex waveform in excel = 106.8V

max.voltage of complex waveform in simulation = 126.8V

Should it be the same?

Can you provide more details about the circuit so we can do analysis and compare?

v = 110sinωt + 22sin(3ωt + 50⁰) + 5.5sin(5ωt - 35⁰)

R = 25 , L = 100mH , C = 11.3uF ...in RLC series circuit

Freq = 50Hz

that are the details of the circuit...

Cooler said:
v = 110sinωt + 22sin(3ωt + 50⁰) + 5.5sin(5ωt - 35⁰)

R = 25 , L = 100mH , C = 11.3uF ...in RLC series circuit

Freq = 50Hz

that are the details of the circuit...

Which voltage are you concerned with? The voltage that is the sum of the supply voltages (your v above), or a voltage measured across one or more of the circuit components? If the latter, which component(s)?

the voltage I am concerned with is the output voltage (the last voltage coming out through all the components)...with all the voltages connected (in series) in one circuit.

Cooler said:
the voltage I am concerned with is the output voltage (the last voltage coming out through all the components)...with all the voltages connected (in series) in one circuit.

Hmm. I'm afraid that doesn't make things clear to me. What is the last voltage coming out of a series circuit? Where's the end of a circle?

I've attached a figure of the circuit diagram for a series RLC circuit driving by three voltage sources. I've placed labels a,b,c,d at various points in the circuit path. Suppose we can measure the voltage between any chosen pair of labels (ab, ac, ad, bc, bd,...). Which pair represents the voltage that you're interested in?

Attachments

• Fig_RLC.jpg
    Fig_RLC.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 444
the voltage I am after is at 'a'...the voltage coming out from the capacitor which is the output voltage waveform

Cooler said:
the voltage I am after is at 'a'...the voltage coming out from the capacitor which is the output voltage waveform

Between a and what other point? Voltage is a potential difference. What's the reference point?

it is the voltage at a and d...

Cooler said:
it is the voltage at a and d...

Okay. So the voltage you want is directly across the summed voltage supplies. This means that the other circuit components are irrelevant to the issue because the voltage supplies alone dictate their own voltages (assuming ideal voltage supplies).

The problem then boils down to finding the maximum absolute value for the function

f(θ) = 110 sin(θ) + 22 sin(3θ + 50°) + 5.5 sin(5θ - 35°)

Note that the function is periodic since it's the sum of periodic terms. The "fundamental" period corresponds to is 2π radians for θ -- all the terms of the function complete an integer number of complete cycles over that domain. If you plot the function over this domain you will observe the peaks (see figure attached).

To find the actual values of the peaks, use whatever mathematical tools you are familiar with for finding function maxima and minima.

Attachments

• Fig2_RLC.jpg
    Fig2_RLC.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 418

1. How accurate is the voltage comparison between Excel and simulation?

The accuracy of the voltage comparison depends on the complexity of the waveform and the accuracy of the simulation software. In general, the closer the simulation matches the real-world conditions, the more accurate the comparison will be. However, there may be slight discrepancies due to the limitations of the simulation software.

2. Can Excel accurately simulate complex waveforms?

Excel is not designed to be a simulation software, so it may not be able to accurately simulate complex waveforms. Its capabilities are limited compared to specialized simulation software. It is best to use Excel for simpler waveforms and use simulation software for more complex ones.

3. Are there any tips for accurately comparing max. voltage in Excel and simulation?

To accurately compare max. voltage in Excel and simulation, it is important to ensure that the simulation settings and parameters match those used in Excel. This includes the time step, voltage scale, and any other relevant settings. It is also important to use the same input values for both Excel and the simulation.

4. How can I troubleshoot any discrepancies in the max. voltage comparison?

If you notice discrepancies in the max. voltage comparison between Excel and simulation, the first step is to check that all the settings and parameters are consistent. You can also try running the simulation with different settings to see if it affects the results. If the discrepancies persist, it may be necessary to consult with a simulation expert or review the simulation software's documentation.

5. Can I use the max. voltage comparison to validate my simulation results?

The max. voltage comparison can be a useful tool to validate simulation results, but it should not be the only method used. It is important to also compare other parameters and characteristics of the waveforms to ensure the accuracy of the simulation. Additionally, it may be helpful to get a second opinion from other experts in the field or conduct physical experiments for further validation.