Register to reply

RLC circuit

by Cooler
Tags: circuit
Share this thread:
Cooler
May27-11, 09:31 AM
P: 17
Hi...i have question on RLC circuit. Why my max.voltage of complex sinewave in Excel is different from the simulated complex waveform? which one is right?

max.voltage of complex waveform in excel = 106.8V

max.voltage of complex waveform in simulation = 126.8V

Should it be the same?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
jegues
May27-11, 01:20 PM
P: 1,089
Quote Quote by Cooler View Post
Hi...i have question on RLC circuit. Why my max.voltage of complex sinewave in Excel is different from the simulated complex waveform? which one is right?

max.voltage of complex waveform in excel = 106.8V

max.voltage of complex waveform in simulation = 126.8V

Should it be the same?
Can you provide more details about the circuit so we can do analysis and compare?
Cooler
May28-11, 06:40 AM
v = 110sinωt + 22sin(3ωt + 50⁰) + 5.5sin(5ωt - 35⁰)

R = 25 , L = 100mH , C = 11.3uF .....in RLC series circuit

Freq = 50Hz

that are the details of the circuit....

gneill
May28-11, 08:13 AM
Mentor
P: 11,683
RLC circuit

v = 110sinωt + 22sin(3ωt + 50⁰) + 5.5sin(5ωt - 35⁰)

R = 25 , L = 100mH , C = 11.3uF .....in RLC series circuit

Freq = 50Hz

that are the details of the circuit....
Which voltage are you concerned with? The voltage that is the sum of the supply voltages (your v above), or a voltage measured across one or more of the circuit components? If the latter, which component(s)?
Cooler
May28-11, 11:17 AM
the voltage im concerned with is the output voltage (the last voltage coming out through all the components)....with all the voltages connected (in series) in one circuit.
gneill
May28-11, 11:38 AM
Mentor
the voltage im concerned with is the output voltage (the last voltage coming out through all the components)....with all the voltages connected (in series) in one circuit.
Hmm. I'm afraid that doesn't make things clear to me. What is the last voltage coming out of a series circuit? Where's the end of a circle?

I've attached a figure of the circuit diagram for a series RLC circuit driving by three voltage sources. I've placed labels a,b,c,d at various points in the circuit path. Suppose we can measure the voltage between any chosen pair of labels (ab, ac, ad, bc, bd,...). Which pair represents the voltage that you're interested in?
Attached Thumbnails
Fig_RLC.jpg  
Cooler
May28-11, 06:15 PM
the voltage im after is at 'a'...the voltage coming out from the capacitor which is the output voltage waveform
gneill
May28-11, 07:13 PM
Mentor
the voltage im after is at 'a'...the voltage coming out from the capacitor which is the output voltage waveform
Between a and what other point? Voltage is a potential difference. What's the reference point?
Cooler
May29-11, 05:55 AM
it is the voltage at a and d....
gneill
May29-11, 06:42 AM
Mentor
it is the voltage at a and d....
Okay. So the voltage you want is directly across the summed voltage supplies. This means that the other circuit components are irrelevant to the issue because the voltage supplies alone dictate their own voltages (assuming ideal voltage supplies).

The problem then boils down to finding the maximum absolute value for the function

f(θ) = 110 sin(θ) + 22 sin(3θ + 50) + 5.5 sin(5θ - 35)

Note that the function is periodic since it's the sum of periodic terms. The "fundamental" period corresponds to is 2π radians for θ -- all the terms of the function complete an integer number of complete cycles over that domain. If you plot the function over this domain you will observe the peaks (see figure attached).

To find the actual values of the peaks, use whatever mathematical tools you are familiar with for finding function maxima and minima.
Attached Thumbnails
Fig2_RLC.jpg  

Register to reply