Projectile Motion fired at an angle

In summary, we have a projectile being fired from ground level at an angle theta with an initial speed v_0. We are assuming the ground is level. Part a asks us to find the time t_H it takes for the projectile to reach its maximum height, which can be expressed as (v_0sin(theta))/g. For part b, we need to find t_R, the time at which the projectile hits the ground. This is found to be t_H multiplied by 2. This is due to the fact that t_flight equals to 2*t_peak, which is the time taken for the particle to reach its peak height. This can be proven by finding the expressions for the peak height and considering the particle's starting
srabi001
A projectile is fired from ground level at time t = 0, at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. It has an initial speed v_0. In this problem we are assuming that the ground is level.

a) Find the time t_H it takes the projectile to reach its maximum height.
Express t_H in terms of v_0, theta, and g (the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity).

b) Find t_R, the time at which the projectile hits the ground.

I understood the first part ti be (v_0sin(theta))/g because it took the equation to V_y =v_0sin(theta) - gt and solved for t.

Now when looking through my textbook, I found that the answer for part b is exactly the same as part a, except multiplied by 2. Can someone explain to me why its multiplied by 2? I figured since its the part after when v_y = 0 aka the peak of the ball, could you just add the t after with the t before the peak?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that t_flight equals to 2*t_peak (time taken for particle to reach its peak height) is usually made in simple projectile motion problems (When particle is dropped after flight to the same level as it was thrown)

I guess you can prove it yourself by finding the expressions for its peak height. Then only thing you should do is to consider the particle's starting point is that height and it is thrown to the ground horizontally with a velocity of v0*cos(theta).

Alright cool. I think I get it now. Thanks for your help

1. What is projectile motion fired at an angle?

Projectile motion fired at an angle is a type of motion where an object is launched into the air at an angle and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile fired at an angle?

The trajectory of a projectile fired at an angle is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the range of a projectile fired at an angle calculated?

The range of a projectile fired at an angle can be calculated using the formula: R = (v²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile fired at an angle?

The maximum height reached by a projectile fired at an angle can be calculated using the formula: H = (v²sin²θ)/(2g), where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile fired at an angle?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile fired at an angle by slowing down the projectile's speed and changing its trajectory. However, its effect is usually negligible for small objects and short distances.