Register to reply

Relative velocity and acceleration on rotating axis

Share this thread:
azula.ozai
Jun13-11, 09:01 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
given a package on a conveyor belt running at a constant veloctiy of 1.5m/s, 1.8m away from the origin. the conveyor belt is rotating origin as a pivot at angular velocity 6 rad/s. it rotates on z axis. calculate the relative velocity of the package from origin (Vp/0) and V absolute. calculate also the relative acceleration (A p/0) and absolute accelearation

2. Relevant equations
Vp = Vo + Vp/o...<---Vo = 0 since origin, thus Vp/0 = Vp..
Vp = Vo + (w x r)...(angular velocity x distance)..(but angular velocity of conveyor belt is not given)..
what is absolute velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
usually i use the formula Vp = w x r (angular velocity cross product r (distance)

i am confused of how and which formula to use to solve this question. please help me
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
gneill
Jun13-11, 09:57 AM
Mentor
P: 11,625
Hi azula.ozai, welcome to Physics Forums.

It's not entirely clear (to me ) from the description what the conveyor belt geometry is. Is it a planar ring-shaped belt circling the origin (sort of like a turning Compact Disk)?
azula.ozai
Jun13-11, 10:12 AM
P: 2
oh sorry gneill...it's like the conveyor belt in the airport. or in the grocery counter..but is rotate about point 'o' on z axis (weird..but yeah). it's 45 degree above horizontal y axis. sorry i'm not able to attach the question here. and at the same time the belt moves with contant v of 1.5 m/s. the pacakge on the conv. belt is 1.8m away from origin. so it's gonna have it's z and y component.

gneill
Jun13-11, 10:37 AM
Mentor
P: 11,625
Relative velocity and acceleration on rotating axis

Quote Quote by azula.ozai View Post
oh sorry gneill...it's like the conveyor belt in the airport. or in the grocery counter..but is rotate about point 'o' on z axis (weird..but yeah). it's 45 degree above horizontal y axis. sorry i'm not able to attach the question here. and at the same time the belt moves with contant v of 1.5 m/s. the pacakge on the conv. belt is 1.8m away from origin. so it's gonna have it's z and y component.
So the conveyor is something like the one depicted in the attached figure, only it's overhead view would be circular?
Attached Thumbnails
Fig3.gif  

Register to reply