Action of Lie Brackets on vector fields multiplied by functions

by tut_einstein
Tags: action, brackets, fields, functions, multiplied, vector
Share this thread:
tut_einstein
Jun14-11, 03:56 PM
P: 31
Hi,

Is there a specific product rule or something one must follow when applying the lie bracket/ commutator to two vector fields such that one of them is multiplied by a function and added to another vector field? This is the expression given in my textbook but I don't see how:

[fX+Z,Y] = f[X,Y] + [Z,Y] - (Yf)Xg

I don't see where the third term on the right hand side comes from.

I'd really appreciate some help on this because I'm self-learning differential geometry for a research project and almost all my doubts revolve around my not understanding how lie brackets work. So any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
George Jones
Jun15-11, 08:11 AM
Mentor
P: 6,231
Quote Quote by tut_einstein View Post
Is there a specific product rule or something one must follow when applying the lie bracket/ commutator to two vector fields such that one of them is multiplied by a function
Yes.
Quote Quote by tut_einstein View Post
This is the expression given in my textbook
Which book?

Let's go back a couple of steps.

If [itex]X[/itex] is a vector field and [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are smooth functions, then both [itex]Xf[/itex] and [itex]Xg[/itex] are functions. Because [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are both functions, the product [itex]fg[/itex] is also a function on which [itex]X[/itex] can act. Consquently, [itex]X \left(fg\right)[/itex] is a function. [itex]X[/itex] acts like a derivative (is a derivation) on the set (ring) of smooth functions, i.e.,
[tex]X \left(fg\right) = g Xf + f Xg.[/tex]
Now, use the above and expand
[tex]\left[ fX,Y \right]g .[/tex]

Register to reply