Register to reply

Graph of inverse square law for radiation intensity

by Luke1121
Tags: graph, intensity, inverse, radiation, square
Share this thread:
Luke1121
Jun14-11, 05:26 PM
P: 13
If I=s/4pir2 would It be correct to write this in terms of logs like this:. lnI=(lns/4pi)-2.lnr Also how could this relate to y=mx+c? I think it's y=lnI. X=lnr. -m= -2 and c= lns/4pi. Is this correct? Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
cepheid
Jun14-11, 09:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Quote Quote by Luke1121 View Post
If I=s/4pir2 would It be correct to write this in terms of logs like this:. lnI=(lns/4pi)-2.lnr
If you meant [itex] \ln I = \ln(S/4\pi) - 2 \ln r [/itex], then yes, this is correct, because

ln(abc) = ln(a) + ln(bc) (the log of a product equals the sum of the logs of the individual factors in the product).

and

ln(bc) = cln(b)

Quote Quote by Luke1121 View Post
Also how could this relate to y=mx+c? I think it's y=lnI. X=lnr. -m= -2 and c= lns/4pi. Is this correct? Thank you
That looks right. I mean, y is the dependent variable (in this case log of intensity), x is the independent variable (in this case log of radial distance) . The slope m is the constant factor that multiplies the independent variable. The intercept c is what you get when x = 0.

EDIT: It should be m = -2, NOT -m = -2.
ehild
Jun14-11, 09:42 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,660
You wrote -m=-2 which results m=2, a positive slope of the ln(I)-lnr graph. Is it right?

ehild

Luke1121
Jun15-11, 02:27 AM
P: 13
Graph of inverse square law for radiation intensity

Ah of course it's not -m, seems like I confused myself. Thank you

Register to reply