Fourier transform of scattering hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling Hamiltonian for electrons in an EM field and its Fourier transform. The Hamiltonian is written in the time/space domain as a sum of vector potentials, while its Fourier transform is expressed as a sum of number operators for electrons. The question is about the exact process of Fourier transforming the Hamiltonian and whether it can be written in a specific form. The expert suggests that the Hamiltonian needs to be expressed with explicit derivatives for the Fourier transform to be evaluated accurately.
dkin
Hey,

I am looking at the coupling hamiltonian for electrons in an EM field. In particular I'm interested in the inelastic scattering (this isn't the dominant part for inelastic scattering but it's confusing me).

The part of the hamiltonian in the time/space domain that I'm interested in is

[itex]H_A = (\frac{e^2}{2mc^2})\sum_j A(r_j,t) \cdot A(r_j,t)[/itex]

Where [itex]j[/itex] sum across all the electrons in this many particle problem. [itex]A[/itex] is the vector potential of EM field.

Now I have another paper which Fourier transforms this part of the Hamiltonian as

[itex]H_A = (\frac{e^2}{2mc^2})\sum_{k_1,\omega_1} \sum_{k_2,\omega_2} N(-k_1 + k_2) A(k_1,\omega_1) \cdot A^*(k_2,\omega_2)[/itex]

where

[itex] N(-k_1 + k_2) = \Sigma_j e^{i(k_1 - k_2)} \cdot r_j [/itex]

which is the Fourier transform of the many particle number operator for the electrons.

The question

How exactly is the hamilton Fourier transformed in this way?

It seems to imply that

[itex] A(k_1,w_1) = \Sigma_{k_2,\omega_2} N(-k_1 + k_2) A^*(k_2,\omega_2) [/itex]

assuming that the Fourier transformed hamiltonian can be written as

[itex]H_A = (\frac{e^2}{2mc^2})\sum_{k_1,\omega_1} A(k_1,\omega_1) \cdot (k_1,\omega_1)[/itex]

which I am not certain of..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dkin,

I'm not familiar with that usage but to be able to evaluate the Fourier transform you need to express the Hamiltonian in such a way that every derivative (with respect to time or space) is explicitly shown. The potentials you write are apparently dependent on some other expression of what they consist of and which presumably contain derivative operators. If the potentials are defined using the Dirac delta function that needs to be explicitly shown also because it will have a term in the Fourier transform.

Last edited:

1. What is the Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian?

The Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian is a mathematical operation that transforms the original Hamiltonian from the position representation to the momentum representation. This allows for a different way of analyzing and understanding the system, particularly in terms of the scattering behavior of particles.

2. How is the Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian calculated?

The Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian is calculated using an integral over all possible momentum values. This integral involves the original Hamiltonian and a complex exponential function, and can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as contour integration or numerical methods.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian?

The Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian is significant because it allows for a different perspective on a physical system. By transforming the Hamiltonian, one can study the scattering behavior of particles in terms of their momentum instead of their position. This can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of the system.

4. How does the Fourier transform affect the scattering behavior of particles?

The Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian does not directly affect the scattering behavior of particles, but it allows for a different way of analyzing and understanding their behavior. By transforming the Hamiltonian, one can study the scattering process in terms of momentum states, which can provide a more intuitive understanding of the system.

5. Can the Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian be applied to all types of scattering processes?

Yes, the Fourier transform of a scattering Hamiltonian can be applied to any scattering process where the Hamiltonian is known. It is a general mathematical operation that can be used in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nuclear physics, to study different types of scattering phenomena.