Register to reply

SVD vs Eigenvalue Decompositon (Diagonalizability)

Share this thread:
eehsun
Jun15-11, 06:14 PM
P: 9
Okay, I know that if I can't get n linearly independent eigenvectors out of a matrix A (∈ℝnxn), it is not diagonalizable
(and that some necessary conditions for diagonalizability in this regard may be being symmetric and/or having distinct eigenvalues.)
This is how things are for the usual eigenvalue decomposition (A=SΛS-1), right?

However, if I am not mistaken, there is not such a restriction present on a matrix for being able to perform the SVD decomposition (A=UΣVT) on it. I mean, every matrix, irrespective of the state of its eigenvectors, can be decomposed into a three parts, one diagonal, two orthogonal, right? So doesn't this mean that every matrix is diagonizable, regardless of its eigenvectors?

Thanks..

Edit:
I know that the answer to the question is no but I don't understand why we don't consider Σ to be a diagonalized form of A.
Please correct me whereever I am mistaken..
Thanks again.. :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
td21
Jun16-11, 12:47 AM
P: 85
hi!
U and V is different generally, so cannot be consider diagonalizable.
Also, The diagonal entries of SVD is the square root of eigenvalue of A*A'(A'*A), so not the eigenvalue of A itself. They are the same iff A is normal.
HallsofIvy
Jun16-11, 06:19 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Quote Quote by eehsun View Post
Okay, I know that if I can't get n linearly independent eigenvectors out of a matrix A (∈ℝnxn), it is not diagonalizable
(and that some necessary conditions for diagonalizability in this regard may be being symmetric and/or having distinct eigenvalues.)
Those are sufficient conditions, not necessary conditions.

This is how things are for the usual eigenvalue decomposition (A=SΛS-1), right?

However, if I am not mistaken, there is not such a restriction present on a matrix for being able to perform the SVD decomposition (A=UΣVT) on it. I mean, every matrix, irrespective of the state of its eigenvectors, can be decomposed into a three parts, one diagonal, two orthogonal, right? So doesn't this mean that every matrix is diagonizable, regardless of its eigenvectors?

Thanks..

Edit:
I know that the answer to the question is no but I don't understand why we don't consider Σ to be a diagonalized form of A.
Please correct me whereever I am mistaken..
Thanks again.. :)

td21
Jun19-11, 06:06 AM
P: 85
SVD vs Eigenvalue Decompositon (Diagonalizability)

Quote Quote by td21 View Post
hi!
U and V is different generally, so cannot be consider diagonalizable.
Also, The diagonal entries of SVD is the square root of eigenvalue of A*A'(A'*A), so not the eigenvalue of A itself. They are the same iff A is normal.
sorry... should be positive semidefinite.

Register to reply