Tags: case
Share this thread:
enigma
Oct31-04, 04:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
According to statesticians, based on the most recent polls and the margins of error, there is a ~4% chance of a tie in the electoral college.

A buddy of mine and I have been giggling about this for a few days.

If there is a tie (or if Nader somehow gets a few electoral votes and Bush/Kerry remain close), since no candidate will have a majority, it'll go to Congress.

The House chooses the President. The Senate chooses the VP.

How would you like to see Bush and Edwards in the White House?

Even better, how much should they charge to watch Cheney's head explode?

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
Gokul43201
Oct31-04, 04:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
So there about a 5% chance that we'll all be waiting for Hawaii to decide the winner this time !!
Gokul43201
Oct31-04, 04:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by enigma
According to statesticians, based on the most recent polls and the margins of error, there is a ~4% chance of a tie in the electoral college.

A buddy of mine and I have been giggling about this for a few days.

If there is a tie (or if Nader somehow gets a few electoral votes and Bush/Kerry remain close), since no candidate will have a majority, it'll go to Congress.

The House chooses the President. The Senate chooses the VP.
This hasn't happened in some 200 years now, what ?

graphic7
Oct31-04, 04:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 560
In case of a tie.

If I recall correctly, it happened during the second election. Adams vs. Jefferson. Jefferson actually became the vice president to John Quincy. This was one of the only, if only, administrations to contain leaders from two different parties.
check
Oct31-04, 04:40 PM
P: 275
That would be great! (Bush/Edwards)
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's gonna be a Democratic majority in The Senate.
franznietzsche
Oct31-04, 06:23 PM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by check
That would be great! (Bush/Edwards)
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's gonna be a Democratic majority in The Senate.

Imagine Kerry/Cheney...or would it be better said Cheney/Kerry?
enigma
Oct31-04, 08:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Well, Kerry/Cheney won't happen, because the Democrats don't have control of the House.

I thought that the Dems were supposed to maintain marginal control of the Senate... ?
franznietzsche
Oct31-04, 08:28 PM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by enigma
Well, Kerry/Cheney won't happen, because the Democrats don't have control of the House.

I thought that the Dems were supposed to maintain marginal control of the Senate... ?

But still, it would be entertaining.

Hence why it would be Bush/Edwards.
Gokul43201
Oct31-04, 08:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by enigma

They have a chance, but it's gonna be very tough.

The "too close to call" states in the Senate race right now are : South Dakota, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana and Florida - where Democrats retired - Alaska, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Colorado - where GOP senators resigned.

Democrats need to win 7 of these 9 states for a majoirty.
Ivan Seeking
Nov1-04, 10:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
This morning, CNN mentioned one possibility in which neither Bush or Kerry get the required majority - this is after the vote has gone to Congress - and Edwards ends up as the acting President!

I guess the three states having Senators from opposing parties could cause this scenario, however unlikely it may be.
check
Nov1-04, 11:29 PM
P: 275
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
This morning, CNN mentioned one possibility in which neither Bush or Kerry get the required majority - this is after the vote has gone to Congress - and Edwards ends up as the acting President!
Now THAT would be awesome. lol

Register to reply