Need help finding permutation matrix

In summary: Since a transposition has sign -1, we know that our product of transpositions has sign (-1)^k, which also equals (-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}} for odd n and (-1)^{\frac{n}{2}} for even n. So my final answer is that the sign of the permutation is (-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}} for odd n and (-1)^{\frac{n}{2}} for even n.In summary, the permutation matrix associated with the permutation of n indices defined by p(i) = n - i + 1 is an n \times n matrix with a single 1 in each row and column, and 0s everywhere else. The cycle decomposition of
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

What is the permutation matrix associated to the permutation of [itex]n[/itex] indices defined by [itex]p(i) = n - i + 1[/itex]? What is the cycle decomposition of [itex]p[/itex]? What is it's sign?

Homework Equations

Prop. A permutation matrix [itex]P[/itex] has a single 1 in each row and in each column, the rest of its entries being 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I. So I'm a bit confused on how to find the matrix associated with [itex]p[/itex]. Here's my attempt:

Given [itex]p(i) = n - i + 1[/itex] defines a permutation of [itex]n[/itex] indices, then by our proposition, we know the associated matrix with [itex]p[/itex], say [itex]A[/itex], is an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix with a single 1 in each row and each column, the rest of its entries being 0. Therefore it is of the form:

[tex]A = \sum_i e_{p(i),i} = \sum_i e_{n-i+1,i}[/tex]

where [itex]e_{i,j}[/itex] denotes an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix with a single 1 in the ith row and jth column. From this we find that:

[tex]A = e_{n,1} + e_{n-1,2} + \cdots + e_{2,n-1} + e_{1,n}[/tex]

I guess I am a bit confused on whether I can deduce that [itex]A[/itex] is an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix from the fact that [itex]p[/itex] defines a permutation of [itex]n[/itex] indices. If so, does that mean I can sum [itex]i[/itex] from 1 to n in the formula above to find [itex]A[/itex]?

II. To find the cycle of decomposition of [itex]p[/itex], provided that my answer from I. is correct, would I just write:

[tex](n,1)(n-1,2) \cdots[/tex] ?

III. I'm not sure on how to determine the sign of [itex]A[/itex] seeing as it depends on the oddness or evenness of [itex]n[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
That function just reverses the order of the indices. The corresponding matrix has all 0s except that the diagonal from lower left to upper right is all 1s. It's sign is [itex](-1)^n[/itex].

Yes, it can be decomposed into cycles, (1, n)(2, n-1), ...

I'm confused about the sign being [itex](-1)^n[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]n=2[/itex]. Then:

[tex]A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then [itex]\det(A) = -1[/itex] and therefore the sign is -1. But according to your formula, the determinant of [itex]A[/itex] should be 1 and therefore the sign should be 1.

Here's what I think. After some investigation, I noticed that the sign of the determinant changes every [itex]2n[/itex]. We know that our permutation is a product of k transpositions [itex]\tau_1 \tau_2 \cdots \tau_k[/itex], where k equals either [itex]\frac{n-1}{2}[/itex], if [itex]n[/itex] is odd, or [itex]\frac{n}{2}[/itex], if [itex]n[/itex] is even. Thus the sign of the permutation is [itex](-1)^k[/itex], with [itex]k[/itex] defined as above.

Last edited:

1. What is a permutation matrix?

A permutation matrix is a square matrix that represents a specific permutation of the rows or columns of an identity matrix. It is used in linear algebra to represent a change in the order of basis vectors.

2. How do I determine if a matrix is a permutation matrix?

A matrix is a permutation matrix if it consists of all 0s and 1s, and each row and column has exactly one 1. Additionally, the product of the matrix with its transpose should result in an identity matrix.

3. What are some applications of permutation matrices?

Permutation matrices are used in various areas of mathematics and science, including graph theory, coding theory, and statistics. They are also used in quantum computing to represent quantum gates.

4. Can I create a permutation matrix for any permutation?

Yes, any permutation can be represented by a permutation matrix. However, not all permutations will result in a unique permutation matrix.

5. How can I find the inverse of a permutation matrix?

The inverse of a permutation matrix is its transpose. This means that switching the rows and columns of a permutation matrix will result in its inverse.