Equivalent resistance between points a and b

by zetologos
Tags: equivalent, points, resistance
Share this thread:
zetologos
Jun20-11, 07:17 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend a book the instructor didn't assign one.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
ideasrule
Jun20-11, 09:31 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,322
I don't think a book is necessary, as long as you know how to find the equivalent resistances for parallel and series circuits. For the first question, imagine a current I entering at A and leaving through B. How much current will flow through each of the resistors? You can use this to figure out the voltage drop between the two points.

For the second question, suppose I take off the 3 resistors at the very right. What would the equivalent resistance be between the top-right point and the bottom-right point? You can use this to set up an equation to solve for the equivalent resistance.
MATLABdude
Jun21-11, 01:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

These are more math / problem solving-type questions, rather than straightforward circuit analysis.

Here's a hint for a: consider what happens when you inject a test current 'I_o' into point A, and figure out how the current flows. Then figure out the voltage at each point (V=IR)

For b, consider that you're adding three series resistors in parallel with a single one. And then you're adding another three series resistors in parallel with the one resistor that you just added previously. Consider: you're far down the line, does adding another three resistors change the equivalent resistance by very much? You should end up solving a quadratic equation using this approach.

Good luck!

EDIT: Obviously, adding three resistors at that point changes the resistance at that point. It shouldn't change the resistance very much at the beginning of your resistor chain.

pgardn
Jun21-11, 07:29 AM
P: 621
Equivalent resistance between points a and b

The second diagram looks too easy if Points A and B on the circuit are the far right top and bottom "corners" on the circuit. There is only one resistor between points A and B? What am I missing?
gneill
Jun21-11, 08:13 AM
Mentor
P: 11,685
Quote Quote by pgardn View Post
The second diagram looks too easy if Points A and B on the circuit are the far right top and bottom "corners" on the circuit. There is only one resistor between points A and B? What am I missing?
All the other paths from A to B that pass through all the other resistors
vk6kro
Jun21-11, 11:02 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,032
The first one is done by joining together (with wires) points on the cube that must have the same voltage on them, by symmetry.

If they have the same voltage, no current will flow in the new wires, but they make the problem a lot easier. You get a few sets of parallel resistors in series.

Register to reply