Stabalize a frame with straps

by epheterson
Tags: frame, stabalize, straps
epheterson
Jul1-11, 09:40 AM
P: 22
Hey all,
I'm working on an experiment and we have a frame which will be exposed to loads in all directions. I'm trying to analyze how to best secure it and am having trouble considering the 3D analysis, while the 2D analysis seems rather simple to me. I was informed the 2D analysis is insufficient, though, and must consider 3D. I believe when I enter the 3rd dimension I introduce a statically indeterminate system.
I've attached my FBD's and initial 2D equations, could you please guide me in making these 3D. The lateral 2G load especially needs to be considered in 3D. I've created the vectors necessary, but can't find a valid solution. My moment equation was about the CG and included only these two cables, when I tried to solve with my TI-89 titanium it said false .

r4_=[39,12,3] inches (vector from CG to T4 connection)
r5_=[-21,12,3] inches (vector from CG to T5 connection)
T4_=T4*[-.98,.098,-.172]
T5_=T5*[.98,.098,-.172]

I'll be putting this together in Abaqus while waiting for your comments. Halp!
Attached Thumbnails
photo (4).jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floor Attachment Analysis.pdf (1.35 MB, 7 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
epheterson
Jul1-11, 11:21 AM
No takers? It seems like a simple 3D statics problem, I just haven't had statics in a while.
epheterson
Jul1-11, 03:26 PM
Y'all are lame.

epheterson
Jul1-11, 05:17 PM

Stabalize a frame with straps

Dude I need numbers, and 4 is not enough.
epheterson
Jul1-11, 09:50 PM
rcgldr, I don't like you. You don't read. I had already figured out how I was attaching it, and needed magnitudes of the tension in the cables. Both of your posts were useless to me.

The correct answer was to simply add the third direction to my moment equation, I'm done now.

Mod, please close this forum.
rcgldr
Jul1-11, 09:56 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,925
Sorry, I couldn't download the pdf file the first time I tried, so I was just guessing at what you wanted since no one else responded. I tried and again and was able to see the pdf file, so I understand you question now, but you've already solved it.
epheterson
Jul1-11, 10:02 PM
It's cool I appreciate your comments. I've never seen this board so mute with such a simple question. Probably a TL;DR situation.

Register to reply