What is the component of the total angular momentum along the axle?

In summary: If you times that by the angular speed of the rod, then you would get the answer for a, right? But I got it wrong...yes, what should you get ? what is the answer ? Normally it should workThis is how you would calculate it for the given scenario: a=L/v=0.7*0.23*41*sqrt(0.4²+0.23²)So a=23.14 cm
physicsss
Two lightweight rods d = 23 cm are mounted perpendicular to an axle and at 180° to each other. (Fig. 11-24). At the end of each rod is a 700 g mass. The rods are spaced 40 cm apart along the axle. The axle rotates at 41 rad/s.

http://www.geocities.com/sinceury/11-24alt.gif

(a) What is the component of the total angular momentum along the axle?

(b) What angle does the vector angular momentum make with the axle? [Hint: Remember that the vector angular momentum must be calculated about the same point for both masses.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one can help? =(

Well the quantity that you will need in order to answer your questions is the rotational inertia or moment of inertia given by:

[tex]I = \Sigma_{i} m_{i}r_{i}^2 [/tex] r is distance between origin and position of the mass. Mass1 is the right hand side-rod and mass2 is the other one.

So we have (in the right units ofcourse) :

[tex]I = 0,7 * 0,23^2 + 0,7(0.4^2 + 0.23^2)[/tex]

mass = 0.7 kg
d_1 = 0.23 m
d_2 = sqrt(0.4²+0.23²)

Then you need to find the designated formula's( as a function of I) for calculation your questions.

marlon

good luck

So I calculated the angular around the center of mass:

L=I*w
L=0.7*v*r, and v=d*w

So L=0.7*0.23*41*sqrt(0.4²+0.23²)

So the total angular momentum is 2 times the above...but I was told that it's wrong. Any ideas?

physicsss said:

L=I*w
L=0.7*v*r, and v=d*w

So the total angular momentum is 2 times the above...but I was told that it's wrong. Any ideas?

Well that is because the I that i calculated is not with respect to the center of mass but with respect to the origin.

If we calculate with respect to the centre of mass(positioned at the intersection of the diagonal between the two masses and the axis.) you would get :

[tex]I = 0.7*(0.2^2 + 0.23^2) + 0.7*(0.2^2 + 0.23^2) [/tex]

marlon

If you times that by the angular speed of the rod, then you would get the answer for a, right? But I got it wrong...

yes, what should you get ? what is the answer ? Normally it should work

marlon

I don't know, but the online homework submission thingy is not accpting my answer. =( Also, I'm getting different answers with the way you did it and the way I did it...

Last edited:
Look you are going to have to be more specific here. What did you get ?

marlon

Sorry, but i made a mistake in the distance from the two masses to the axis. In the formula for I the r represents the PERPENDICULAR distance to the axis so this is just 0,23 meters.

[tex]I = 0.7 * 0.23^2 + 0.7 * 0.23^2[/tex]

try this one

marlon

Am i right now ?

maybe someone else can help us out here...

marlon

nope =( Can someone jump in and help?

physicsss said:

L=I*w
L=0.7*v*r, and v=d*w

But it is just L = I * w and w = 41 rad/sec. Just multiply the two...

marlon

1. What is total angular momentum along the axle?

Total angular momentum along the axle refers to the combined rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. It is a measure of how much rotational energy an object has and is often represented by the symbol L.

2. How is total angular momentum along the axle calculated?

The total angular momentum along the axle can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) of the object by its angular velocity (ω). This can be represented by the equation L = Iω.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect total angular momentum along the axle?

The distribution of mass has a significant impact on the total angular momentum along the axle. Objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia and, therefore, a greater total angular momentum along the axle.

5. Can the total angular momentum along the axle change?

Yes, the total angular momentum along the axle can change if there is a change in the object's angular velocity or the distribution of its mass. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.