Potential drop across each resistor

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential drop across two resistors (R1 and R2) connected in series across a potential difference (ΔV0). The potential drop across each resistor can be expressed individually as V1 = (R1/Req)V0 and V2 = (R2/Req)V0, where Req is the equivalent resistance of the series circuit and V0 is the potential difference. This type of circuit is commonly referred to as a potential divider or voltage divider.
yjk91

Homework Statement

Two resistors, R1 and R2, are connected in series across a potential difference, ΔV0. Express the potential drop across each resistor individually, in terms of these quantities.

The Attempt at a Solution

R1 + R2 = Req
I = V0 / Req

drop at
V1 = V0 / (req) * R1
V2 = V0 / (req) * R2

i think this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
yjk91 said:

Homework Statement

Two resistors, R1 and R2, are connected in series across a potential difference, ΔV0. Express the potential drop across each resistor individually, in terms of these quantities.

The Attempt at a Solution

R1 + R2 = Req
I = V0 / Req

drop at
V1 = V0 / (req) * R1
V2 = V0 / (req) * R2

i think this right?

That should be correct assuming you mean that V1= (R1/Req)V0 and similar with V2.

This sort of circuit set up is also referred to as a potential divider or voltage divider.

What is potential drop?

Potential drop refers to the decrease in electrical potential energy that occurs as an electric current passes through a resistor. It is also known as voltage drop.

How is potential drop measured?

Potential drop is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. It is typically represented by the symbol ΔV or VR.

What factors affect the potential drop across a resistor?

The potential drop across a resistor is affected by the resistance of the resistor, as well as the current flowing through it. It is also affected by the material the resistor is made of and the temperature of the resistor.

What is Kirchhoff's voltage law and how does it relate to potential drop?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources. This means that the potential drop across each resistor in a series circuit will add up to the total voltage of the circuit.

How is potential drop calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the potential drop across each resistor is proportional to its resistance. This means that the potential drop across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is the potential drop, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the resistor.