Possible title: Isotope Abundance Calculations: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, calculating the relative atomic masses of antimony and rubidium requires knowing the abundances of their isotopes. Using weighted averages, the abundances of antimony-121 and antimony-123 are approximately 60% and 40%, respectively, while the abundances of rubidium-85 and rubidium-87 are approximately 75% and 25%, respectively. These values can vary slightly due to factors such as binding energy. The textbook's answers may be incorrect, as accurate abundances can be found through reliable sources.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1) "The relative atomic mass of antimony is 121.8. Antimony exists as two isotopes; antimony-121 and antimony-123. Calculate the relative abundances of the two isotopes."
2) "The relative atomic mass of rubidium is 85.5. Rubidium consists of two isotopes, rubidium-85 and rubidium-87. Calculate the percentage of rubidium-87 in naturally occurring rubidium."

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought these questions should be relatively easy but the solutions at the back of the book don't seem to agree with my answers.

For question 1, I did [121*x + 123*(100-x)]/100 = 121.8 and solved for x. Likewise for question 2. For question 1, I get that antimony-121 is 60% and antimony-123 is 40%, but the textbook says the answers should be 37.5% and 62.5% respectively. For question 2, I get Rb-85 occurring 75% and Rb-87 occurring 25%, yet the textbook says Rb-87 occurs 23.5%. However I checked my answers and I do get the average relative atomic masses that they state. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:

Homework Statement

1) "The relative atomic mass of antimony is 121.8. Antimony exists as two isotopes; antimony-121 and antimony-123. Calculate the relative abundances of the two isotopes."
2) "The relative atomic mass of rubidium is 85.5. Rubidium consists of two isotopes, rubidium-85 and rubidium-87. Calculate the percentage of rubidium-87 in naturally occurring rubidium."

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought these questions should be relatively easy but the solutions at the back of the book don't seem to agree with my answers.

For question 1, I did [121*x + 123*(100-x)] = 121.8 and solved for x. Likewise for question 2. For question 1, I get that antimony-121 is 60% and antimony-123 is 40%, but the textbook says the answers should be 37.5% and 62.5% respectively. For question 2, I get Rb-85 occurring 75% and Rb-87 occurring 25%, yet the textbook says Rb-87 occurs 23.5%. However I checked my answers and I do get the average relative atomic masses that they state. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.

According to your type of calculation the average of the numbers 5 and 5 should be [5*x + 5*(100-x)] = 500. Do you see anything wrong with this calculation?

RGV

You need to know the atomic mass of each of the isotopes: antimony-121, antimony-123, rubidium-85, and rubidium-87. You can't assume that they're 121, 123, 85, and 87.

Wikipedia page on isotopes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_antimony" .

Wikipedia page on isotopes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_rubidium" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

I'm just a little confused and would appreciate if someone could explain to me why my method is incorrect though. For example, for chlorine, Cl-35 occurs 75% of the time and Cl-37 occurs 25% of the time. So the average, according to the textbook, is;

(35*0.75)+(37*0.25) = 35.5

Which is why 35.5 amu is the relative atomic mass of chlorine.

In the questions I did, I followed the same method, but since the percentages are unknown I let the percentage be x, and the other percentage be (100-x), since percentages must total to 100.

I don't understand why the atomic mass Ar of Rb-85 wouldn't just be 85?

All questions are supposed to be doable using only the textbook.

The question before this I got correct using this method, and the method working they've shown looks identical to mine...

Last edited:
In my first reply I asked you a question---for a good reason. So far you have not answered it, but had you done so you would see right away where your problem lies.

RGV

Hello,

I saw your post but I still don't see the error, solving for x I get x = 50% (or 0.5) which is how often each of your numbers (5 and 5) occur... I don't understand. I'm not sure how your example is relevant because it doesn't involve weighted averages...

For chlorine, the approximate relative atomic mass is 35.5, because the textbook explains that Cl-35 occurs 75% of the time and Cl-37 25% of the time, so by weighted averages, 35*0.75 + 37*0.25 = 35.5

This is exactly what I have done for my questions, so why are they incorrect?

Last edited:
Find and use more accurate data for the average atomic masses and isotope masses. The links SammyS gave you are excellent.

ehild

I believe that the 60% you calculated is the percent mass of Sb-121 in a sample of antimony. Since each atom of Sb-121 has less mass than each atom of Sb-123, the number of atoms of Sb-121 is more than 60% of the total number of antimony atoms in the sample.

I was responding to the unedited post and had not noticed that you had edited it. That said, you got good advice from Sammy S. The actual weight of Antimony 121 is not exactly 121 times the weight of one nucleon, because of binding energy, etc. Of course, there is the possibility that the book's answer is wrong; that happens frequently.

RGV

RGV

Last edited:
Yes, the book mixed the abundances, that of Sb121 is greater. You can find accurate abundances here: http://presolar.wustl.edu/ref/IsotopeAbundanceTable.pdf

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an isotope?

An isotope is a variation of an element that contains the same number of protons, but a different number of neutrons in its nucleus. This results in a slightly different atomic mass for each isotope of the same element.

What is the abundance of isotopes?

The abundance of isotopes refers to the relative proportion of each isotope in a naturally occurring sample of an element. This is typically measured as a percentage or a decimal fraction.

How is the abundance of isotopes determined?

The abundance of isotopes is determined through various analytical techniques, such as mass spectrometry or spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to measure the relative amounts of each isotope in a sample and calculate their abundance.

Why is the abundance of isotopes important?

The abundance of isotopes is important for understanding the chemical and physical properties of elements. It can also provide insight into the origin and evolution of elements, as well as the processes that occur in the universe.

How does the abundance of isotopes affect chemical reactions?

The abundance of isotopes can affect the rate and outcome of chemical reactions, as isotopes with different masses may have slightly different chemical behaviors. This can also be seen in isotopic labeling used in research to track the movement of elements in biological systems.