Mass problem dealing with areas and lengths

• Thread starter missrikku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Areas Mass
In summary, the problem involves calculating the area and length of a gold leaf and cylindrical fiber using the given mass and thickness of gold. The ratio of 1 cubic centimeter of gold to 19.32 g is used to find the volume of 1 oz of gold, and the volume of the leaf is related to its area by the formula V=AT. For the cylindrical fiber, the volume of gold is calculated using the formula V=pi*r^2*h, and the length can be solved for using the volume calculated in part A. The conversion from cm to m is done correctly by multiplying by 1m/10^2cm or 10^-6.
missrikku
Hello again,

The problem states that:

Gold has a mass of 19.32 g for each cubic centimeter of volume.

a) If 1.000 oz of gold, with a mass of 27.63 g, is pressed into a leaf of 1.000 micrometers thickness, what is the area of the leaf?

b) If the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 micrometers, what is the length of the fiber?

Well,

From the first part of the problem I got this ratio:

1 cubic centimeter of gold : 19.32 g of gold

For part A:

I did a proportion:
1 cubic centimeter / 19.32 g = x / 27.63 g
x = 1.43 cubic centimeters = 1.43 x 10^-2 cubic meters

but that is where i got stuck. i think that the x that i found is the volume for the 1 oz of gold, but how do i get the length of the leaf so I can get the area? also, if the problem says that the leaf has a certain thickness, then is the area they are looking for a surface area?

For part B:

I first changed the 2.500 micrometers into meters and got: 2.500 x 10^-6 meters

the volume of a cylinder is: V = pi * r^2 * h

then from part A, V = 0.143 cubic meters

0.143 = pi * ( 2.500 x 10^6 )^2 * h

solving for h, i got: h = 7.283 x 10^8 meters

I think I can only get the right answer if I have the volume from part A correct, so I am unsure if my answer is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by missrikku
From the first part of the problem I got this ratio:

1 cubic centimeter of gold : 19.32 g of gold

For part A:

I did a proportion:
1 cubic centimeter / 19.32 g = x / 27.63 g
x = 1.43 cubic centimeters = 1.43 x 10^-2 cubic meters

OK, good start.

but that is where i got stuck. i think that the x that i found is the volume for the 1 oz of gold, but how do i get the length of the leaf so I can get the area?

You don't need the length. If the leaf is of uniform thickness (T), then the volume (V) and area (A) are related by:

V=AT

You can solve for the area directly.

also, if the problem says that the leaf has a certain thickness, then is the area they are looking for a surface area?

Yes.

For part B:

I first changed the 2.500 micrometers into meters and got: 2.500 x 10^-6 meters

the volume of a cylinder is: V = pi * r^2 * h

then from part A, V = 0.143 cubic meters

0.143 = pi * ( 2.500 x 10^6 )^2 * h

solving for h, i got: h = 7.283 x 10^8 meters

I think I can only get the right answer if I have the volume from part A correct, so I am unsure if my answer is correct.

I do not have a calculator handy, so I can't check your number, but I can say that your method is correct. Assuming you did the calculator work correctly, this is A-OK.

about converting the volume of 1.430 cm^3 into m^3, am i correct in doing the following:

(1.430 cm^3)(1m/10^2cm)^3 = 1.430 x10^-6 m^3

is that correct? or should i have just done this:

(1.430 cm^3)(1m/10^2cm) = 1.430 x10^-2 m^3

Your first calculation is correct. There are 100 cm in a m and so 100^3= 1000000 cubic cm in a cubic m. Although I wonder why yo are converting to cubic meters. Wouldn't it be easier to convert everything to cm?

What is the difference between area and length?

The area of an object is the measurement of the surface that it covers, while the length is the distance from one end of an object to the other.

How do you calculate the area of a square or rectangle?

The area of a square or rectangle can be calculated by multiplying the length by the width.

What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you convert between units of length and area?

To convert between units of length and area, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from meters to square meters, you would multiply the length measurement by itself.

What is the relationship between mass and area/length?

The relationship between mass and area/length depends on the density of the object. The mass of an object can be affected by its size and shape, which determines the area and length. However, the density of the object is the key factor in determining its mass.