Register to reply

Antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling

by qubits
Tags: coupling
Share this thread:
qubits
Nov8-04, 11:54 AM
P: 7
What is antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling, and what is the difference between the two? I'm referring to coupling between two two-level half-flux quantum systems for example.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
ZapperZ
Nov8-04, 02:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,242
Quote Quote by qubits
What is antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling, and what is the difference between the two? I'm referring to coupling between two two-level half-flux quantum systems for example.
I'm assuming what you meant by "half-flux quantum systems" is spin 1/2 systems.

First of all, this is a VERY difficult subject that falls into quantum magnetism. So I'm guessing you're asking this because you're studying either quantum magnetism, or solid state physics. If that is the case, then the "coupling" is the Heisenberg spin-exchange interaction, defined within the Heisenberg spin Hamiltonian as

[tex]H = \sum_{ij}J_{ij}\mathbold{S_i} \cdot \mathbold{S_j}[/tex]

where [tex]J_{ij}[/tex] is the Heisenberg coupling of nearest-neighbor spins. In a "simple" system (pay attention to that word), a ferromagnetic coupling implies that J < 0, whereas antiferromagnetic coupling means that J > 0. The exact determination of what J is for any given system is usually impossible to find exactly. This is where one has to make approximations within the many-body picture.

Zz.
santoshroy
Nov19-04, 12:13 AM
P: 13
In any physical system we are concerned with energy lowering that leads to stability of the system. So the hamiltonian that is presented above H=sum (ij) J(ij) S(i).S(j) is a simplestic one illustrating the fact.

1.For a antiferromagnetic system neighbouring spins are opposite (+1/2) and (-1/2) so J is +ve that leads to an overall -ve sign>>> means H= -ve ( .... ) this hamiltonian will have -ve eigen energy leading to a bound state.

2.For ferromagnetic spins are (+1/2) (+1/2) so by similar argument J should be -ve...

This hamiltonian is simple but it hides the actual physics. The J cointains Coulomb and spin exchange terms within it......

Register to reply