Physics homework hanging stone

by iampaul
Tags: homework, physics, stone
Share this thread:
iampaul
Aug4-11, 02:36 AM
P: 79
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A stone hangs by a fine thread from the ceiling and a section of the same thread dangles from the bottom of the stone.

2. Relevant equations

a. If a person gives a sharp pull on the dangling thread, where is the thread likely to break: below the stone or above it?
b. What if the person gives a slow and steady pull?
Explain your answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
I think that the answer for a is below while for b the answer is above, but I don't know exactly how. Can someone please explain this in detail. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
PeterO
Aug4-11, 02:47 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,316
Quote Quote by iampaul View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A stone hangs by a fine thread from the ceiling and a section of the same thread dangles from the bottom of the stone.

2. Relevant equations

a. If a person gives a sharp pull on the dangling thread, where is the thread likely to break: below the stone or above it?
b. What if the person gives a slow and steady pull?
Explain your answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
I think that the answer for a is below while for b the answer is above, but I don't know exactly how. Can someone please explain this in detail. Thanks
have a look at the tensions in the string, if the stone has a mass of 10kg, and a second 2 kg stone was attached to the bottom of the lower string.

What happens to those tensions is the 2 kg stone is replaced by a 4kg stone? 6kg? 8kg? 12kg? 14kg? ......

That should give you a clue for part (b)

Answer me that and I will give you a hint about (a)
EDIT: for speed of calculation, and because each stone could have been a little heavier any way, use g=10 m/s^2

Register to reply