S&P Downgrades US To AA+, Outlook Negative

by DevilsAvocado
Tags: downgrades, negative, outlook, sandp
Share this thread:
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 02:52 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by SixNein View Post
The tea party is a misnomer in the sense that it is a party; instead, its a movement within the GOP base. In other words, the tea party is a part of the base of the republican party.
I find the (apparent) need to identify the TEA Party movement as part of the Republican Party to be counter-productive to the Left. I've talked to many independents and moderate Democrats (in OH and PA mostly, but NY, VA and MD as well) that consider themselves part of the TEA Party - ridiculing this group in 2012 will be a BIG mistake.
SixNein
Aug7-11, 03:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 194
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
I find the (apparent) need to identify the TEA Party movement as part of the Republican Party to be counter-productive to the Left. I've talked to many independents and moderate Democrats (in OH and PA mostly, but NY, VA and MD as well) that consider themselves part of the TEA Party - ridiculing this group in 2012 will be a BIG mistake.
The tea party is a part of the republican base.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=FreedomWorks
OmCheeto
Aug7-11, 03:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Anyone else besides me doing substantial* ACH transfers into their investment accounts?

Quote Quote by Warren Buffett
Occasional outbreaks of those two super-contagious diseases, fear and greed, will forever occur in the investment community. The timing of these epidemics is equally unpredictable, both as to duration and degree. Therefore we never try to anticipate the arrival or departure of either. We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.
*"substantial" of course being every last penny of cash I have in my bank account. Which amounts to little more than $200. Gads I hate being poor.

But I do love roller coaster rides. Yippie!
russ_watters
Aug7-11, 03:31 PM
Mentor
P: 22,294

That link has nothing to do with your claim.
turbo
Aug7-11, 03:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Anyone else besides me doing substantial* ACH transfers into their investment accounts?
I'm not moving my assets around because I don't need access to them right now. Actually, I hope the Fed has to raise the short-term lending rate soon, because I'm earning practically nothing on my liquid assets.
ParticleGrl
Aug7-11, 03:49 PM
P: 685
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
That would only necessarily be true if imports and exports were the only components of the economy.
Its a basic accounting identity. Consider, GDP (Y) is C+I+G+NX. Your total GDP is consumption+investment+Governmentspending+net exports.

Now, also, Y = C+S+T (consumption+savings+taxes). Any dollar not consumed or taxed is saved.

Put them together, and you find

NX = (S-I)+(T-G).

If net exports is negative, then either I is bigger than S, or G is bigger than T. A trade deficit requires negative household balances or deficit government spending. If you have a macroeconomics book, crack it open to the section on twin deficits to read more.
Jimmy Snyder
Aug7-11, 03:54 PM
P: 2,179

Did she really say "He's got to come up with a new deal" at 1:31?
OmCheeto
Aug7-11, 04:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post

Yes. He and she repeated it later.

Thanks a lot for making me watch that.

I almost threw up.

Quote Quote by Neil
You were ahead of the curve.
You said something that was very profound...
Quote Quote by Michelle
You can't fool the markets.
The markets have said that this deal stinks.
I would like to remind people that I've been without cable for the last 18 months now, and this is actually the first time I've listened to Sarah Michele Bachmann speak.

And thank you Jimmy for making me watch that. If she's our new leadership, I think I'll just cash out my whole portfolio and move to Waterworld.

Who the **** elects these kind of ******* morons?

moderator deletion precognitived.......
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 04:36 PM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post

At 3:25 she explains the comment.
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 04:55 PM

Here's my point - there are hundreds of "TEA Parties" across the country. They are local groups - many actually formed around kitchen tables.

Yes, I agree they came together at a few large events including the tax day rallies and the DC events. Also, I agree that Glen Beck motivated a great many people to form groups with his 9/12 Project.

However, I challenge you to name the leader.

Last, the new House Republicans along with Michelle Bachman have formed a group and taken the name TEA Party Caucus - and this causes some confusion. The members of the TEA Party Caucus happen to be Republicans but answer to their respective local groups (voters of both Parties and Independents in some cases) - not a national organization.
DevilsAvocado
Aug7-11, 05:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,662
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
I almost threw up.

I would like to remind people that I've been without cable for the last 18 months now, and this is actually the first time I've listened to Sarah Michele Bachmann speak.

And thank you Jimmy for making me watch that. If she's our new leadership, I think I'll just cash out my whole portfolio and move to Waterworld.

Who the **** elects these kind of ******* morons?
OmCheeto, youíre the last person I want to make any sicker, but at the same time I think it is good if as many people as possible understands what weíre dealing with here:

Michele Bachmann Says The Darndest Things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bvreW08X0

Did I hear someone (who seems to have lost it completely) mention "Breivik-inspired rhetoric"??
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 05:17 PM
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
Did I hear someone (who seems to have lost it completely) mention "Breivik-inspired rhetoric"??
It's nonsense like this comment that the Left has trouble competing on talk radio - IMO.
(I mean without a Government subsidy of course)
DevilsAvocado
Aug7-11, 05:42 PM
PF Gold
It's nonsense like this comment that the Left has trouble competing on talk radio - IMO.
Agree, Michele Bachmann is pure nonsense, but IMHO the problem is sheís Running for President, and before even starting the campaign Ė sheís involved in a possible threat to the global economy.

Asia is opening in 1Ĺ hr, letís cross our fingers...

Anyhow, thanks a lot WhoWee for bringing up talk radio! Here comes the truth (@0:59) about "Breivik-inspired rhetoric" and extreme rightwing fanatics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bscp0ou3o40
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 05:55 PM
Agree, Michele Bachmann is pure nonsense, but IMHO the problem is she’s Running for President, and before even starting the campaign – she’s involved in a possible threat to the global economy.

Asia is opening in 1Ĺ hr, let’s cross our fingers...

Anyhow, thanks a lot WhoWee for bringing up talk radio! Here comes the truth (@0:59) about "Breivik-inspired rhetoric" and extreme rightwing fanatics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bscp0ou3o40
I already offered to defend the TEA Party against Van Jones in the other thread maybe you should post this over there or in the Breivik thread and move on?

Btw - that was a REALLY lame attack on Beck - and a mis-characterization of the content (by YOU).
DevilsAvocado
Aug7-11, 06:41 PM
PF Gold
I already offered to defend the TEA Party against Van Jones in the other thread maybe you should post this over there or in the Breivik thread and move on?
I understand this is embarrassing for you and maybe for someone else in this thread (unless completely lost), however I did not bring this "topic" up, nevertheless itís always nice to stick to the facts Ė donít you think?

Btw - that was a REALLY lame attack on Beck - and a mis-characterization of the content (by YOU).
WhoWee, I do feel sorry for you, honestly. You probably only have good and sincere intentions in actually "saving the economy", but the people you protect (ad absurdum)... on the road to this goal, turns the whole thing into a 'joke'... Iím afraid...

I didnít attack Glen Beck. I just provided the sound of the man accusing the poor teenage victims on the Utoya Island for being "Hitler Youths".

Thereís no point in attacking a person who does "the job" himself, right?
DevilsAvocado
Aug7-11, 06:58 PM
PF Gold
1 min left too market openings in Asia... will this just be a "silly whisper" or a "Great Depression Thunderstorm"...?
WhoWee
Aug7-11, 07:01 PM
I understand this is embarrassing for you and maybe for someone else in this thread (unless completely lost), however I did not bring this "topic" up, nevertheless itís always nice to stick to the facts Ė donít you think?

WhoWee, I do feel sorry for you, honestly. You probably only have good and sincere intentions in actually "saving the economy", but the people you protect (ad absurdum)... on the road to this goal, turns the whole thing into a 'joke'... Iím afraid...

I didnít attack Glen Beck. I just provided the sound of the man accusing the poor teenage victims on the Utoya Island for being "Hitler Youths".

Thereís no point in attacking a person who does "the job" himself, right?
Actually, what you did was present a clip from an (apparently) low budget (perhaps) college radio show that played a very select and chopped Glen Beck clip. Worse yet, you did it in a thread regarding the "S&P Downgrades US To AA+, Outlook Negative" - is it because your primary intent is to be a troll?
mheslep
Aug7-11, 07:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,098
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
... The irony of Bush's bailout (TARP) is it shows up as spending on his balance sheet and income on Obama's. It's a trillion dollar misleading swing in their balance sheets!

I didn't like it, but it was ultimately completely painless...
Well yes TARP was ~painless to the government's balance sheet, but it remains to be seen if the bailouts contributed to even worse behaviour in the future via moral hazard (and perhaps that is what you meant).

Register to reply