Violent Flash Mobs organized through social media

by Evo
Tags: flash, media, mobs, organized, social, violent
drankin
Aug9-11, 04:49 PM
P: 175
Quote Quote by ginru View Post
Even without firepower, perhaps society just needs more of the elders' sense of community and courage:

Fewer thieves would risk it if they expected the local passerby to be as brave and determined as this old lady to stop them.
I agree! I love seeing an old lady beating away rioters! LOL
CAC1001
Aug9-11, 04:54 PM
P: 18
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
This is interesting on many levels, if the violence continues to escalate, and flash mob behavior continues to spread from distressed region/country to distressed region/country for whatever reason, there will be a triggering event that will cause the communications industry in cooperation with state and federal governments to action. When they finally have had enough, they will "pull the plug" on cell phone and internet service, at least for the short term until the flash mob behavior is brought under control. Once down this track, we are on a very slippery slope. I liken removing the ability to communicate as removing the mobsters carrying gas cans to a bonfire.
I highly doubt they would pull cellphone and Internet service all over flash mobs, would have to be some major flash mobs occurring, and even then, it is questionable. Plus you'd completely hamstring businesses and the overall economy by doing such a thing, and it would make people crazy, as they are too used to the Internet now.
Evo
Aug9-11, 05:35 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
I think it's clever that undercover cops have started getting themselves "friended" and been able to stop riots from happening thanks to them getting the "tweet".
rhody
Aug9-11, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I think it's clever that undercover cops have started getting themselves "friended" and been able to stop riots from happening thanks to them getting the "tweet".
Yeah, that is clever Evo. The news is reporting that a lot of flash organizing behavior is done using Blackberry's. They texts apparently can't be traced.

Rhody...

P.S. This is an interesting aside. A young lady was caring for someone away from home and in a city/residence she was not familiar with. There was a medical emergency, no land line available, and her cell call to emergency services was frustrated because she could not give an exact address. Had they had a land phone line, the EMT's would have shown the address immediately. Something to think about, although an unusual case.
Astronuc
Aug9-11, 05:46 PM
Admin
P: 21,628
I would imagine that hot jobs in the near term are private eye, security guard, and bounty hunter - and using the internet and social media to catch miscreants and n'er-do-well folk.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Aug9-11, 06:00 PM
P: 425
Logged on to my friend's Facebook account (he gave me the password to look at 'statuses'); here are some of the messages people posted (the bad-looking ones).

"so bored. mite go for some looting tomoz lol"
"why dont the rioters set schools on fire????????"
"Camden's so quiet it's wierd. gonna go down there tomorrow, see if I can steal some stuff xD"
"I Need Some New Crep, Lets Break Into Footlocker"
"is it kicking off in holloway ??? Where is it kicking off??? someone organise something"
"I need to get to these Riots."
"Getting Livly In Camden..looks fun LOL"
"Thinkin of merkin greggs..whos got a motive for me and my dawgyss"
"i would love to **** up some police."
"Ok is their rioting in Camden? anyone going?"
"whos on protest tomorrow ?"
"MANDEM COME KENTISH. LIIIVE."
"the riot's at Camden yh?"

Just a sample of some of what people have posted...
drankin
Aug9-11, 06:03 PM
Quote Quote by FeDeX_LaTeX View Post
Logged on to my friend's Facebook account (he gave me the password to look at 'statuses'); here are some of the messages people posted (the bad-looking ones).

"so bored. mite go for some looting tomoz lol"
"why dont the rioters set schools on fire????????"
"Camden's so quiet it's wierd. gonna go down there tomorrow, see if I can steal some stuff xD"
"I Need Some New Crep, Lets Break Into Footlocker"
"is it kicking off in holloway ??? Where is it kicking off??? someone organise something"
"I need to get to these Riots."
"Getting Livly In Camden..looks fun LOL"
"Thinkin of merkin greggs..whos got a motive for me and my dawgyss"
"i would love to **** up some police."
"Ok is their rioting in Camden? anyone going?"
"whos on protest tomorrow ?"
"MANDEM COME KENTISH. LIIIVE."
"the riot's at Camden yh?"

Just a sample of some of what people have posted...
Wow, like it's a local carnival. "so bored. mite go for some looting tomoz lol".
FeDeX_LaTeX
Aug9-11, 06:05 PM
That being said the majority of the people posting statuses are against looting, I just put these together to give people a sample of what some of the 'organisation' looks like. Not to be mis-interpreted as a majority
rhody
Aug9-11, 06:25 PM
PF Gold
That being said the majority of the people posting statuses are against looting, I just put these together to give people a sample of what some of the 'organisation' looks like. Not to be mis-interpreted as a majority
Fedex,

Do these people have enough brain cells to realize that law enforcement can use them to connect the dots ? Sometimes a big lie to look bad a.. could come back to bite them in a big way.

Rhody...
skippy1729
Aug9-11, 06:29 PM
P: 148
I can hardly wait until some of our less civilized political movements latch onto this behavior.

I keep hoping that a definitive causal link can be found between wireless traffic and Colony Collapse Disorder. The world would be a better place without cell phones. I know I must sound like a knuckle dragging reactionary but I was there, BCP (before cell phones), and it was a better place.

Skippy
FeDeX_LaTeX
Aug9-11, 06:31 PM
Some of the people who said these things I thought knew better than to join in the chaos; a bit shocked that some of my 'friends' are choosing to contribute to the injuring of policemen, burning of shops, and mugging of people.
drankin
Aug9-11, 06:34 PM
Some of the people who said these things I thought knew better than to join in the chaos; a bit shocked that some of my 'friends' are choosing to contribute to the injuring of policemen, burning of shops, and mugging of people.
Might have to take a second look at who your 'friends' are my friend.
WhoWee
Aug9-11, 06:43 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
This is interesting on many levels, if the violence continues to escalate, and flash mob behavior continues to spread from distressed region/country to distressed region/country for whatever reason, there will be a triggering event that will cause the communications industry in cooperation with state and federal governments to action. When they finally have had enough, they will "pull the plug" on cell phone and internet service, at least for the short term until the flash mob behavior is brought under control. Once down this track, we are on a very slippery slope. I liken removing the ability to communicate as removing the mobsters carrying gas cans to a bonfire.
The police could always send a message of their own - maybe tell everyone to meet at a large parking lot > where they'll all be arrested.
rhody
Aug9-11, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
The police could always send a message of their own - maybe tell everyone to meet at a large parking lot > where they'll all be arrested.
Hehe, or better yet, flash all the trouble makers cell's so they no longer can communicate with a warning to knock it off or go to jail and face hefty fines before the phones go dead. That would get their attention for sure.

Rhody...
WhoWee
Aug9-11, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know if cell phone privileges can be stripped (for a set time or indefinitely) the way a land line can - if too many abusive calls are documented?
Greg Bernhardt
Aug9-11, 07:03 PM
Admin
P: 8,534
Just got a fb status report from a friend that some rioting has begun in Birkenhead and Liverpool.
Evo
Aug9-11, 07:09 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Does anyone know if cell phone privileges can be stripped (for a set time or indefinitely) the way a land line can - if too many abusive calls are documented?
Physically, yes, but it runs into legal issues.
WhoWee
Aug9-11, 07:14 PM
Physically, yes, but it runs into legal issues.
Someone posted early in the thread about a problem in Cleveland, OH. while I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but some of the larger counties in OH have provided thousands of cell phones to welfare recipients. A lot of the phones were provided for parents to communicate with kids. At a minimum, this group should face consequences of losing phones if involved in criminal activities.

Register to reply