Register to reply

Sound waves versus equilibrium

by klimatos
Tags: equilibrium, sound, versus, waves
Share this thread:
klimatos
Aug11-11, 02:16 PM
P: 409
Postulate a parcel of air that is transmitting sound waves. Can that parcel ever be considered to be in a state of equilibrium? I maintain that it cannot. How say you?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Studiot
Aug11-11, 03:05 PM
P: 5,462
What is your definition of equilibrium?

Match this against the situation and post your answer.
klimatos
Aug11-11, 06:41 PM
Quote Quote by Studiot View Post
What is your definition of equilibrium?

Match this against the situation and post your answer.
Fair enough. Kinetic gas theory says a gas is in a state of equilibrium when its entropy has been maximized. I maintain that a gas transmitting sound waves is not in a state of maximum entropy. Consequently, the Ideal Gas Equation of State at Equilibrium would not apply to that parcel of air.

Studiot
Aug12-11, 02:44 AM
P: 5,462
Sound waves versus equilibrium

Kinetic gas theory says a gas is in a state of equilibrium when its entropy has been maximized.
Not quite.

A system is said to be in equilibrium when it has no further tendency to change its properties of interest.

In particular considering thermodynamic equilibrium (it is not the kinetic theory by the way) a system is isolated if the internal energy and volume are constant.

It can be shown that in an isolated system (with constant U and V) the entropy tends to a maximum.

So yes for an isolated system in equilibrium, the entropy is a maximum

Is your gas an isolated system?
Lobezno
Aug12-11, 07:48 AM
P: 53
Kinetic Gas Theory makes a whole range of assumptions which are not completely true. Complete elasticity of collisions is ALMOST completely true, but not quite.
Simon Bridge
Jan2-14, 04:17 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,447
We would not expect a volume of air with sound waves passing through it to satisfy the OPs definition of being in equilibrium because the volume of air is not an isolated system.
Why would anyone think it might be?

It is not clear what the point of the 1st post is.
If the intention is to start a conversation, as in social media, then isn't it more polite to kick things off yourself?
klimatos
Jan2-14, 09:17 PM
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
If the intention is to start a conversation, as in social media, then isn't it more polite to kick things off yourself?
I agree. Point taken. But why wait more than two years to bring this to my attention?
Simon Bridge
Jan2-14, 09:27 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by klimatos View Post
I agree. Point taken. But why wait more than two years to bring this to my attention?
Because I'm an idiot?

I only just noticed and didn't check the date stamp - it happens :)
klimatos
Jan2-14, 09:40 PM
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
Because I'm an idiot?

I only just noticed and didn't check the date stamp - it happens :)
No harm, no foul.
Simon Bridge
Jan2-14, 10:36 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Red Wizard needs coffee - urgently!

Register to reply