Register to reply

What can a bachelor's degree in physics do?

by Ilovephysics1
Tags: college, higher education, physics
Share this thread:
Ilovephysics1
Aug17-11, 05:13 PM
P: 3
What kind of jobs can a degree in physics get you?

What is the average starting salary for a physics degree?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
fss
Aug17-11, 05:42 PM
P: 1,185
http://www.aps.org/careers/
vladb
Aug18-11, 08:29 AM
P: 42
With a bachelor's in physics you can work at positions that requires some numerical literacy (but otherwise not much competence). Like a lower level analyst or risk engineer. Also, I used to have a programming job while doing (and some time after completing) my bachelor's in physics, but that's assuming one can program.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm fairly convinced that you cannot have a physics related job with just a bachelor's degree.

MissSilvy
Aug18-11, 11:30 AM
P: 299
What can a bachelor's degree in physics do?

Vladb is correct. You can be a high school teacher of physics with a bachelors but if you want to do physics research or do some sort of engineering for a company, you need a higher-level degree. Unlike engineers, physics majors don't train for a specific job during their undergrad. Consider a physics B.S. a sort of 'liberal science' degree that gives you enough math and science to go on to related fields (physics, engineering, computer science, what-have-you) but you need more training to truly be ready to use it in a job.
deRham
Aug18-11, 12:03 PM
P: 410
sort of 'liberal science' degree
That's a nice way of putting it - never thought of it. I think this is very true. Which also means it can be a very nice complement to a more applied discipline if one wishes to avoid grad school either for some time or just not bother with it at all.
ModusPwnd
Aug18-11, 12:32 PM
P: 1,049
"What kind of jobs can a degree in physics get you?"

None, its the marketable skills and ability that you acquire while pursuing your degree that get you a job. The marketable skills and ability that one get while pursuing a degree varies quite a bit and is a function of both the school and the person. Some leave with a BS in physics and have to wait tables, some can teach in school, some can do various forms of engineering and some can continue their education and do research.

If a job is important to you, then consider what marketable skills you should be fostering.

Register to reply