by JasonRox
Tags: advice
Share this thread:
JasonRox
Nov12-04, 09:08 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
This is regarding Micheal Spivak's Calculus Textbook.

I need to be re-assured that not being able to answer all the problems is perfectly normal. I can answer all the ones in other textbooks, but this one is like WAY over my head sometimes.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
courtrigrad
Nov12-04, 11:13 PM
P: 1,236
yes it is normal. you are not expected to do that. it would take a long time. also try reading courant. best calc book imo. just dont copy what the examples are in the book but actually understand what the book is talking about.
singleton
Nov12-04, 11:15 PM
P: 117
Most math undergrads reportedly have trouble with it.

Check out the amazon reviews on it. You can take those seriously because most people reviewing it are math, physics, engineering or computer science students. And some of the reviews are done by forum members from right here. I noticed about 3 of them :)

General consensus says you'd have to be an uber genius to do them all if this is your first "real" introduction to calculus.

Tide
Nov12-04, 11:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,144
Any advice?

Would you really want a textbook that just had plug'n'play exercises that anyone could do? Effective teaching and learning require appropriate challenges!
JasonRox
Nov13-04, 10:02 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Tide
Would you really want a textbook that just had plug'n'play exercises that anyone could do? Effective teaching and learning require appropriate challenges!
Well yes, and that's why I asked my prof for something and this is what I got.

It's just went from uber easy to uber hard. I do enjoy it, especially when you answer a question.

Register to reply