Register to reply

Power supply to adapter

by gyroElec
Tags: adapter, power, supply
Share this thread:
gyroElec
Aug31-11, 09:58 AM
P: 2
I'm trying to hook up my power supply to I/O Ethernet Adapter, and am getting confused with the wiring terminology.

The power supply is 24V DC (+/- terminals) and the Ethernet Adapter has NC, Chassis Ground, Common (C), and V (Supply).

I guess I am getting confused with what exactly Common and Chassis Ground are, and what I'm connecting the +/- to?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
schip666!
Aug31-11, 11:37 AM
P: 595
I would put minus on "Common" and plus on "Supply". You might connect "Chassis" to a water pipe or other earth-grounded thingie to provide a little noise and interference protection. Usually chassis and common are connected together someplace in a system and it is best to do that in only one place to avoid "ground loops", so that's probably why they are separate on your box.
gyroElec
Aug31-11, 02:56 PM
P: 2
What does it mean when it says that the DC supply will be connected to the internal power bus?

schip666!
Sep1-11, 11:33 AM
P: 595
Power supply to adapter

It probably means that the DC supply goes directly to the supply lines (buss) of the thing. I can't think of a way to say that any clearer, sorry...

Register to reply