Register to reply

Power supply to adapter

by gyroElec
Tags: adapter, power, supply
Share this thread:
gyroElec
Aug31-11, 09:58 AM
P: 2
I'm trying to hook up my power supply to I/O Ethernet Adapter, and am getting confused with the wiring terminology.

The power supply is 24V DC (+/- terminals) and the Ethernet Adapter has NC, Chassis Ground, Common (C), and V (Supply).

I guess I am getting confused with what exactly Common and Chassis Ground are, and what I'm connecting the +/- to?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
schip666!
Aug31-11, 11:37 AM
P: 595
I would put minus on "Common" and plus on "Supply". You might connect "Chassis" to a water pipe or other earth-grounded thingie to provide a little noise and interference protection. Usually chassis and common are connected together someplace in a system and it is best to do that in only one place to avoid "ground loops", so that's probably why they are separate on your box.
gyroElec
Aug31-11, 02:56 PM
P: 2
What does it mean when it says that the DC supply will be connected to the internal power bus?

schip666!
Sep1-11, 11:33 AM
P: 595
Power supply to adapter

It probably means that the DC supply goes directly to the supply lines (buss) of the thing. I can't think of a way to say that any clearer, sorry...

Register to reply