by Char. Limit
Tags: candidacy, paul
Char. Limit
Jan3-12, 02:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
::FACEPALM::

Okay, not all libertarians feel that way! Please don't lump libertarian ideology with anarchism. They are fundamentally different.
Before we get back on topic, let me just say I'm glad that you find this guy as loopy as I do.
Woopy
Jan3-12, 02:22 PM
P: 166
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
::FACEPALM::

Okay, not all libertarians feel that way! Please don't lump libertarian ideology with anarchism. They are fundamentally different.
Ideally I'm an anarchist, so I just do libertarian because it's the smallest government
Evo
Jan3-12, 02:49 PM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Quote Quote by Woopy View Post
Ideally I'm an anarchist, so I just do libertarian because it's the smallest government
Get back to the topic or please stop posting.
turbo
Jan3-12, 02:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
One little wrinkle in Paul's campaign. Many of his most ardent supporters/canvassers are actually too young to vote or participate in the caucuses. At least I'm assuming that you have to be a registered voter, as is the case in Maine.
FlexGunship
Jan3-12, 02:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 735
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
One little wrinkle in Paul's campaign. Many of his most ardent supporters/canvassers are actually too young to vote or participate in the caucuses. At least I'm assuming that you have to be a registered voter, as is the case in Maine.
Yeah, it's odd that he has so many young supporters. I'm sure a lot of what he says appeals to a certain naivete on the surface, but that's not to be confused with the way his ideas can appeal more completely to a sound economic thinker.

Paul's push to reduce reliance on the Federal Reserve is a genuinely good idea. He wants to abolish it entirely, and that might be a little too far, but it's clear that the Federal Reserve has an anti-market tendency because its an enabler of the "bust" part of boom-and-bust cycles by cyclically devaluing the money in circulation.
mheslep
Jan3-12, 04:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Does any of this constitute a conflict of interest?
No, not at all. My point was his investment ideas are ... unusual in the extreme.
mheslep
Jan3-12, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
... To assume that being poor or unemployed is the fault of the poor/unemployed individual is fallacious,
It is not the fault of the poor/unemployed, it is the fault of the bloated state and the people that created it.
to not think it was a virtue for society to take care of these people is callous.
'society' does not have virtue, society does not take care of people. Individuals, people take care of people.
Evo
Jan3-12, 04:18 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
It is not the fault of the poor/unemployed, it is the fault of the bloated state and the people that created it.
'society' does not have virtue, society does not take care of people. Individuals, people take care of people.
And since there are not enough individuals to care for the multitude of citizens that need help? Consider that many of these were working, contributing citizens before they fell on hard times.
Dotini
Jan3-12, 04:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 487
Speaking of Ron Paul and compassion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rv0Z...layer_embedded

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this video, but I suppose it could only be an ad. What do you think?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
Evo
Jan3-12, 04:29 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Dotini View Post
Speaking of Ron Paul and compassion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rv0Z...layer_embedded

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this video, but I suppose it could only be an ad. What do you think?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
It states that it's an ad.
Dotini
Jan3-12, 04:32 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
It states that it's an ad.
But is it authentic?

Respectfully,
Steve
Evo
Jan3-12, 04:34 PM
Mentor
But is it authentic?

Respectfully,
Steve
How often are ads authentic?
Dotini
Jan3-12, 04:37 PM
PF Gold
How often are ads authentic?
I'm not always sure.

Yours,
Steve
turbo
Jan3-12, 04:45 PM
PF Gold
But is it authentic?
Political ads are fiction and spin.

Paul's past newsletters are homophobic, conspiracy-theory diatribes, laced with racism. He has said that 95% of the black males in DC are either criminals or semi-criminal. That is not a claim that a thoughtful, decent person would make.

IMO, the next move is for Paul to come out with an ad that says that he really doesn't think that the US government conspired with gays to down-play the AIDs epidemic. The guy is quite a nut-case, and his past will come back to haunt him over and over again even if he does OK in Iowa.
mheslep
Jan3-12, 05:10 PM
PF Gold
And since there are not enough individuals to care for the multitude of citizens that need help? ...
There are not enough individuals that can help? I do not know that to be true. But there is a 'government' can help? A government that borrows $3B/day?
Evo
Jan3-12, 05:24 PM
Mentor
There are not enough individuals that can help? I do not know that to be true. But there is a 'government' can help? A government that borrows $3B/day?
How many individuals would help if it was 100% voluntary? What would they do, pay my rent, my doctor and hospital bills, my food, clothing, etc...?
turbo
Jan3-12, 05:24 PM
PF Gold
Let's get back on track, WRT to Ron Paul. Does Paul think that every person who has some expendable income needs to adopt a poor person, and to what extent? Demolishing social safety nets would result in sickness, death, and suffering among the poor, the disabled, and the elderly. The idea that taxation=theft has some traction with right-wingers, but it doesn't fly with average people.

We all pay taxes in the form of sales taxes, excise taxes, property taxes, gas taxes, etc... These are all quite regressive, since poorer people pay a large portion of their incomes in those taxes. "Libertarians" like Paul are dangerous, IMO. We can't afford to abolish the Fed, for instance, like he wants to do, but we should be able to keep the Fed from ruining the interest rates of people who save by shoveling free money at Wall Street.

Paul is a slash and burn kind of guy. Not the kind of person we need in the WH.
Woopy
Jan3-12, 05:55 PM
P: 166
Just listen to Ron Paul talk man. During debates or whenever he is on TV, he speaks his mind and stays on topic with whatever he believes will help the country. I know he would never succumb to lobbyists, unlike the rest of the candidates. That alone would be enough for me to vote for him.

Evo and others, since you guys feel the need to help people so much, why aren't you out there doing it? Go work at a soup kitchen, give a homeless man lunch, something. Just please don't force your will upon the rest of us. If I want to help a man down on his luck, I will do it on my own damn accord.

Register to reply