Is working while in school a big deal to employers?

• Thread starter Sentience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, someone is considering going back to school full time, but is worried about the future job market. They are considering their options and whether it is a good idea. They mention that it can take 9.5 years to get a degree, and that if they do take the time to graduate with no debt, it will be to their credit.
Sentience
Right now I'm at a community college and I am a semester or two away from transferring to the local Uni in the Chemical Engineering program. I need some advice. So far in school I've been working part time and going to school part time. As many of you probably know, working while taking these strenuous math/science/engineering courses can be extremely stressful.

Well, I have a significant other who is pressuring me to stop working, let her support us while I hit the books full time. The problem, she says, is by working I will significantly I will end up taking longer to finish. She's right, however for multiple reasons, I am hesitant to oblige.

1. In this economy, I'm scared to let this job go. Even though it's only a part time job making around 13 an hour, I've been with the company for 4 years now. My boss treats me well, and I still get benefits despite only being part time. (Basic health/dental/tuition reimbursement).

2. If/when I graduate some day, would it look bad to potential employers if I stopped and had a 2-3 year gap in my employment history?

3. Money will be tight, but it is doable. I have some cash saved up, but I will probably have to take out some loans. I was hoping to graduate with no debt, but the loans won't be too big and should I actually become a Chem E paying them back won't be a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in school, it's not a gap. I'd even say it would be to your credit that you went back to get your degree.

Who knows what the economy will look like in 2-3 years, anyway?

If you are blessed with an understanding spouse and think that you can swing the finances with a minimal amount of loans, I would say going back full-time is definitely the way to go.

Is there anything that prevents you from taking your time? You may take longer to finish, but is that necessarily a bad thing? We probably can't answer that for you...

I worked while going to school, too - mostly basic low-level lab jobs. Yes it's a huge stress - you really learn how to manage your time, that's for sure! It took 9.5 years to get through. Quite a slog.

While I was in school, I was envious of fellow students who could devote themselves full time to their studies.

But when I graduated, I had 6 years of lab work to put on my resume next to my BS degree. That helped me immensely, as employers like work experience as well as education. I also had a lot of industry contacts, which I didn't realize the value of at that time. Even now, 20 years later, those contacts remain extremely valuable.

Your job could be giving you value beyond just the paycheck and benefits: experience and contacts. And it's another big plus if the job you have is related to science or engineering.

At the time, I hated that I had to double up work and school. I now realize it was a good move.

(Btw, those are great benes for a part-time job!)

I understand the importance of balancing work and school, especially in a rigorous program like Chemical Engineering. It is commendable that you have been able to manage both part-time work and school thus far.

In regards to your significant other's suggestion to stop working and focus solely on school, it is important to consider the potential consequences. While it may allow you to dedicate more time to your studies, it could also create financial strain and a potential gap in your employment history.

Regarding your concern about the job market and the potential perception of a gap in employment, it is important to note that employers often value well-rounded candidates who have demonstrated the ability to balance multiple responsibilities. Your experience in the workforce while also pursuing a challenging degree could be seen as a positive attribute.

Furthermore, having a part-time job in a relevant field can also provide valuable experience and skills that can be highlighted on your resume and in job interviews.

Ultimately, the decision to continue working while in school should be based on your individual circumstances and what will work best for you in achieving your goals. It may be helpful to sit down with your significant other and discuss your concerns and potential solutions together.

In the end, what matters most is your dedication and commitment to your education and future career, and I wish you all the best in your studies and future endeavors.

1. Is it common for employers to expect students to work while in school?

It depends on the specific employer and the industry. In some fields, such as retail or food service, it is common for students to work while in school. However, in other fields, such as finance or engineering, employers may not expect students to have work experience while in school.

2. Will working while in school hurt my academic performance?

It is possible that working while in school could negatively impact academic performance if not managed properly. However, many students are able to successfully balance work and school by prioritizing their time and staying organized. It is important to communicate with employers about your schedule and prioritize your schoolwork to ensure academic success.

3. Do employers value work experience gained while in school?

Yes, employers often value work experience gained while in school. It shows that a student is able to balance multiple responsibilities and has gained practical skills relevant to their field of study. It can also demonstrate time management, communication, and teamwork skills, which are highly valued by employers.

4. How can I highlight my work experience while in school on my resume?

Include your work experience in the "Experience" or "Work Experience" section of your resume. Be sure to list the name of the company, your job title, and the dates of employment. Use bullet points to describe your responsibilities and achievements in each role. You can also mention any relevant skills or knowledge gained through your work experience.

5. Can working while in school help me get a job after graduation?

Yes, working while in school can be beneficial for securing a job after graduation. It shows that you have gained practical experience and have developed important skills that are relevant to your field. It can also demonstrate your dedication, time management, and ability to balance multiple responsibilities, which are qualities that employers look for in potential hires.