Register to reply

Is working while in school a big deal to employers?

by Sentience
Tags: deal, employers, school, working
Share this thread:
Sentience
Sep5-11, 12:50 PM
P: 79
Right now I'm at a community college and I am a semester or two away from transferring to the local Uni in the Chemical Engineering program. I need some advice. So far in school I've been working part time and going to school part time. As many of you probably know, working while taking these strenuous math/science/engineering courses can be extremely stressful.

Well, I have a significant other who is pressuring me to stop working, let her support us while I hit the books full time. The problem, she says, is by working I will significantly I will end up taking longer to finish. She's right, however for multiple reasons, I am hesitant to oblige.

1. In this economy, I'm scared to let this job go. Even though it's only a part time job making around 13 an hour, I've been with the company for 4 years now. My boss treats me well, and I still get benefits despite only being part time. (Basic health/dental/tuition reimbursement).

2. If/when I graduate some day, would it look bad to potential employers if I stopped and had a 2-3 year gap in my employment history?

3. Money will be tight, but it is doable. I have some cash saved up, but I will probably have to take out some loans. I was hoping to graduate with no debt, but the loans won't be too big and should I actually become a Chem E paying them back won't be a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
TMFKAN64
Sep6-11, 10:24 AM
P: 1,084
If you are in school, it's not a gap. I'd even say it would be to your credit that you went back to get your degree.

Who knows what the economy will look like in 2-3 years, anyway?

If you are blessed with an understanding spouse and think that you can swing the finances with a minimal amount of loans, I would say going back full-time is definitely the way to go.
Sankaku
Sep7-11, 10:04 AM
P: 717
Is there anything that prevents you from taking your time? You may take longer to finish, but is that necessarily a bad thing? We probably can't answer that for you...

lisab
Sep7-11, 10:33 AM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Is working while in school a big deal to employers?

I worked while going to school, too - mostly basic low-level lab jobs. Yes it's a huge stress - you really learn how to manage your time, that's for sure! It took 9.5 years to get through. Quite a slog.

While I was in school, I was envious of fellow students who could devote themselves full time to their studies.

But when I graduated, I had 6 years of lab work to put on my resume next to my BS degree. That helped me immensely, as employers like work experience as well as education. I also had a lot of industry contacts, which I didn't realize the value of at that time. Even now, 20 years later, those contacts remain extremely valuable.

Your job could be giving you value beyond just the paycheck and benefits: experience and contacts. And it's another big plus if the job you have is related to science or engineering.

At the time, I hated that I had to double up work and school. I now realize it was a good move.

(Btw, those are great benes for a part-time job!)

Register to reply