Calculate maximum allowable stress

In summary, a decision has been made to use a ceramic material called sialon for a plate that needs to withstand a tensile load of 177.92kN. The company will perform non-destructive testing using x-ray radiology to detect flaws larger than 0.05cm with a Y value of 1.0. With a Kic value of 9.9 Mpa\sqrt{}m, the minimum thickness for a 7.5mm wide plate made of sialon can be determined. The maximum allowable design stress can also be calculated using the formula Kic = Y*\sigma*sqrt{\pi*a}. The direct tension formula may not apply to stress in a plate, and additional resources can
cd19
1. A decision has been made to make a plate out of an advanced engineering material ceramic that has better high temperature and wear properties than alloys. The plate must withstand a tensile load of 177.92kN. The part will be non-destructively tested to ensure that no flaws are present that might cause failure. A company offers non-destructive testing methods using x-ray radiology that can detect flaws larger than 0.05 cm. Assume Y=1.0. Determine the minimum thickness for a 7.5mm wide plate made of sialon (Kic = 9.9 Mpa[itex]\sqrt{}m[/itex]) . Also calculate the maximum allowable design stress.

2. Kic = Y*[itex]\sigma[/itex]*sqrt{[itex]\pi[/itex]*a}

[itex]\sigma[/itex] allowable = FORCE/AREA

3. I just don't see how to factor in the 'thickness' into my calculations and so i cannot begin with my calculations. Can someone help me with this please.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum allowable stress?

The formula for maximum allowable stress is maximum allowable stress = ultimate tensile strength / factor of safety.

2. What is ultimate tensile strength?

Ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before it breaks or fractures.

3. What is the factor of safety?

The factor of safety is a multiplier used in engineering to account for uncertainties in materials, design, and external factors. It ensures that the maximum stress applied to a material is well below its ultimate tensile strength to prevent failure.

4. How do you determine the appropriate factor of safety?

The appropriate factor of safety depends on the material and the application. It is typically determined by considering the consequences of failure and the level of uncertainty in the design and materials. A higher factor of safety is usually used for critical or high-risk applications.

5. What are some factors that can affect the maximum allowable stress?

The maximum allowable stress can be affected by factors such as temperature, material properties, loading conditions, and environmental conditions. It is essential to consider all these factors when calculating the maximum allowable stress for a specific application.