by BobG
Tags: coffee, consumption, finland
Share this thread:
BobG
Sep6-11, 05:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
How can that be? And how can the United States rank a lowly #27 in coffee consumption per capita?! Finns drink nearly three times more coffee than Americans!

I try and try to increase the coffee consumption per capita in the US, but I'm only one person! I can only drink so much coffee!

What is wrong with you people?! (and by people, I mean non-coffee drinking Americans)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita

(I always thought Scandinavians were shivering because of the cold, but is it possible they're just jittery because of drinking so much coffee?)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Evo
Sep6-11, 05:39 PM
Mentor
P: 26,485
Maybe they don't have Starbucks?
Ivan Seeking
Sep6-11, 06:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
Being part Fin, I was my understanding that, tradtionally, there were abour four things to do in Finland in for most of the year: Drink Vodka, drink coffee, play checkers, and look at the snow, and in that order.

wuliheron
Sep6-11, 06:20 PM
P: 1,967
Finland #1 in coffee consumption?!

We need to find new and innovative ways to sneak coffee into people's food and drink. Starting of course with baby formula. Get em while they're young.
Pengwuino
Sep6-11, 06:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
There's a tragic new trend called "tea" that is spreading across America. First only gravely ill people and 80 year olds drank tea. For some reason this drink spread to more Americans who found themselves unable to handle coffee or soda.
rootX
Sep6-11, 06:25 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
There's a tragic new trend called "tea" that is spreading across America. First only gravely ill people and 80 year olds drank tea. For some reason this drink spread to more Americans who found themselves unable to handle coffee or soda.
US isn't good in tea consumption either
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita

Neither beer nor alcohol .

P.S. I would also call "tea a new tragic trend

P.S.2 There' atleast one thing US tops !
Pengwuino
Sep6-11, 06:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Wow what do we drink all day then? Oil?
BobG
Sep6-11, 06:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Being part Fin, I was my understanding that, tradtionally, there were abour four things to do in Finland in for most of the year: Drink Vodka, drink coffee, play checkers, and look at the snow, and in that order.
Partly an old wives tale. They drink a lot more alcohol than Americans, but Americans think Canadians drink a lot (Canadians rank #48, while Finland ranks #25, with the US ranking a paltry #57). But both Finland and Canada have good hockey teams - coincidence? You be the judge! Yemen drinks less alcohol than any country in the world and do they have anyone playing in the NHL?

Eastern Europeans drink alcohol. Only Andorra cracks into the block of Eastern European countries at the top of the list (Andorra ranks #7 in alcohol consumption and #4 in median life expectancy). After Andorra, you have to go all the way down to #13 South Korea to get a non-Eastern European country.
Chi Meson
Sep6-11, 06:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
I try, Bob. I do my part. But I can't carry the caffeine-load for all the others who choose to take the easy road. Shame on them.
Pyrrhus
Sep6-11, 06:53 PM
HW Helper
It may also depend on the price and taxes of those goods. Back home in the Caribbean, alcohol is sold way cheaper than the alcohol I've bought here in the USA.
BobG
Sep6-11, 07:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Wow what do we drink all day then? Oil?
Soft drinks. We're #1 in the world in soft drink consumption! We drink 216 liters per person per year (about 3 cans a day) while #2 Ireland only drinks 126 liters per person per year.

Heck, in the US, we even mix soft drinks into our alcohol!
Astronuc
Sep6-11, 07:16 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
I beat Finland.
jtbell
Sep6-11, 08:16 PM
Mentor
P: 11,631
I do more than my share to boost US coffee consumption, but I'm half Finnish so it must be in my genes. My students probably joke about never seeing me without a coffee mug in one hand or on the table next to me. I can definitely vouch for the rate of coffee drinking in the "mother country," based on my visits to relatives there. Any time we visit someone there, out comes the coffee pot!
DoggerDan
Sep7-11, 12:38 AM
P: 77
A third of Finland is above the Arctic Circle, so they have to drink coffee to keep their pupils small as protection against those glaring summers.
Adyssa
Sep7-11, 03:34 AM
P: 188
Wow, get drinkin' you Yanks!

I drink .. probably 3 cups a day on average, sometimes a couple more, rarely less. I used to be a right fiend, but I try to keep it under control these days. Getting up at 4am doesn't help. :S

Need. Coffee.
wukunlin
Sep7-11, 04:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 345
i don't drink coffee

at all
arildno
Sep7-11, 05:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
I am sad that this embarassing truth is out.
We have known since the 80's that Norwegians are outclassed by the Finns, and it was a major blow to our national psyche.

We have borne our shame in secret, but it has now been exposed for all the world to see..
jtbell
Sep7-11, 06:07 AM
Mentor
P: 11,631
You guys do have better mountains!

Register to reply