Register to reply

How Fourier Expansion indicates the Amplitude w.r.t a certain frequency?

by genxium
Tags: amplitude, expansion, fourier, frequency
Share this thread:
genxium
Sep7-11, 02:58 AM
P: 77
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I wanna know how could I extract the amplitude(of the sinusoid component) of a random continuous wave w.r.t a certain frequency response? The teacher said the Fourier Expansion can do that but I'm really confused by the limits and integrals.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]F(\omega)=\int f(t) e^{-j \omega t} dt[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the very easy example and wanna extract the amplitude where the frequency matches(say [itex]\omega = \omega_0 [/itex]). [itex]f(t)=A \cdot cos\omega_0t,\hat{f}(t)=A \cdot e^{j \omega_0 t},\hat{F}(\omega)=\int \hat{f}(t) \cdot e^{-j \omega t} dt [/itex], range ([itex]-\infty ,\infty [/itex]), but it turned out to be [itex]Re\{ \hat{F}( \omega ) \}=A \cdot \frac{sin(\omega_0 - \omega ) (t_2-t_1)}{\omega_0 - \omega}[/itex], where [itex]t_2=\infty,t_1=-\infty[/itex] , it's weird if I follow the basic operation of sin function, I got [itex]Re\{ \hat{F}( \omega ) \}=2 \cdot A \cdot \frac{sin(\omega_0 - \omega ) \infty}{\omega_0 - \omega}[/itex], and then although applying that [itex]lim \frac{sinx}{x} -> 1[/itex] while x->0, it's 2A, besides I don't even know if this's right.

I have no idea what happened...

Any help will be appreciated !!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
genxium
Sep7-11, 11:41 AM
P: 77
Terribly sorry that my teacher has corrected my mistakes, the Amplitude should be [itex]|F(\omega)|[/itex] instead of [itex]Re \{ \hat{F}(\omega) \}[/itex],but the calculation becomes even harder, I'm still trying on this question.

Register to reply