Using something like Anki (spaced repetition system) for university?

In summary, Anki is a proven and effective method for retaining information and can be a valuable tool for studying. However, it should be used in combination with other study methods and it is best to create Anki cards as you go along in your studies. Good luck with your exams!
tamtam402
Greetings everyone!

Has anyone here successfully used a program like Anki to try and remember as much information for university exams? Has it been a successful method of study, or a big waste of time??

I'm in an engineering program and everything is split in units of two weeks, where we are given a problem and we must solve it. To do so, we have to learn new material, and we have an exam at the end of every 2 weeks units. I'm not sure how to say it in english, I think it is PBL (project based learning).

While doing the exam at the end of the 2 weeks units must be easy since you've been working on related problems for 2 weeks non-stop, we also get exams at the end of the term, which means I'll have to remember everything I learned in the first 2 weeks without touching much of it ever again.

I was thinking Anki could be a great way to make sure I never forget what I learned, but I'm not sure if the time spent building Anki cards and reviewing them would better be spent actually reviewing the material straight from the books.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Anki is usually used to learn words in new languages, and my goal is NOT to remember everything using rote-memorization; I'll start by understanding the material, then try to remember the most information I can using anki.

Physics news on Phys.org

I have personally used Anki for studying and found it to be a very effective method for retaining information. Anki uses spaced repetition, which is a proven technique for long-term retention of information. This means that by using Anki, you are more likely to remember the material for your exams at the end of the term.

I would also recommend using Anki to supplement your studying, rather than solely relying on it. It can be a great tool to help you review and reinforce the material you have already learned, but it should not replace actively studying and understanding the material from the books.

Additionally, I would suggest creating your Anki cards as you go along in your studies, rather than waiting until the end to create them all. This will help you review the material more frequently and in smaller chunks, making it easier to retain.

In my opinion, Anki can be a valuable tool for studying, but it should be used in conjunction with other study methods. Good luck with your exams!

1. How does Anki work for studying?

Anki is a spaced repetition system that uses a flashcard-based approach to help users memorize and retain information more effectively. It works by presenting users with flashcards that contain information or questions on one side and the corresponding answer on the other side. As the user reviews the flashcards, Anki tracks their progress and adjusts the timing of future reviews based on how well they recall the information. This helps users to review information at optimal intervals for long-term retention.

2. Can Anki be used for any subject or only specific ones?

Anki can be used for any subject or topic, as long as the information can be broken down into flashcards. It is commonly used for language learning, medical studies, and other academic subjects, but it can also be used for memorizing facts, formulas, and concepts in any field. Users can create their own flashcards or import pre-made decks from other users.

3. How much time should I dedicate to using Anki for university?

The amount of time you dedicate to using Anki will depend on your individual study needs and habits. However, it is recommended to spend at least 20-30 minutes per day reviewing flashcards on Anki to see significant improvements in retention and learning. It is also important to regularly add new flashcards to keep up with new material and to review old ones to maintain knowledge.

4. Are there any downsides to using Anki for university?

Like any study tool, Anki may not work for everyone. Some users may find the flashcard-based approach to be too simplistic, while others may struggle with creating effective flashcards. Additionally, Anki may not be suitable for subjects that require more critical thinking and understanding rather than simple memorization.

5. Can Anki be used as the sole study method for university?

Anki can be a helpful supplement to traditional study methods, but it is not recommended to rely solely on Anki for university studies. It is important to also engage in active learning techniques such as note-taking, practice problems, and group discussions to fully understand and retain information. Anki should be used as a tool to reinforce and supplement your other study methods.