Register to reply

Enthalpy of Combustion for Magnesium

by decamij
Tags: combustion, enthalpy, magnesium
Share this thread:
decamij
Nov15-04, 06:22 PM
P: 53
I placed some magnesium ribbon in HCl and measured the temperature change. How would i find the change in enthalpy per mole of magnesium in the following reaction:
Mg + 2HCl --> H2 +MgCl2
If i know the following information: change in temperature = 19C
mass of ribbon = 0.5g
volume of HCl = 100mL

I can't use any known values (i.e. like the ones you'd find in a textbook). I must use the experimental values above. However, i can use specific heat capacity values, c, if i must.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Sirus
Nov15-04, 08:56 PM
P: 578
[tex]Q=mc\Delta t[/tex]
where Q is the enthalpy change. You cannot just plug numbers into this formula though; remember that it applies to the entire system, and can be used in conjuction with
[tex]\mbox{heat gain}=-\mbox{(heat loss)}[/tex]
How is heat energy transfered in the reaction? (what gains, what loses?)
pack_rat2
Nov15-04, 09:20 PM
P: 183
Did you perform that experiment in a "bomb calorimeter" (or a suitable improvised version thereof)? If not, the temperature change is meaningless, because an unknown amount of heat was dissipated to the surroundings.

Astronuc
Nov15-04, 10:05 PM
Admin
P: 21,865
Enthalpy of Combustion for Magnesium

As Pack_rat2 alluded to, ideally one is doing this in an adiabatic system so that heat is not lost to the environment outside the reaction vessel (presumably test tube). One might have to correct of the mass of the reaction vessel as well if it is heated.

From the mass of HCl solution and temperature, one can determine the change in enthalpy of the solution.

Then assuming that all the heat originated from the chemical reaction - one can determine the energy per unit mass or mole of Mg (the other known quantity).
decamij
Nov16-04, 06:37 AM
P: 53
But what will i use the specific heat capacity of HCl? I can't find that in my textbook.
nekoooo
Sep23-08, 09:09 PM
P: 1
The Specific heat capacity of HCl (s) is 3.93 Jg-1C-1
Borek
Sep24-08, 02:18 AM
Admin
P: 23,530
Quote Quote by decamij View Post
But what will i use the specific heat capacity of HCl? I can't find that in my textbook.
I suppose reaction was going on in a relatively diluted solution of the acid. If so, use specific heat of water.
Gimpinald
Sep30-08, 10:31 PM
P: 1
Yea I would just use the specific heat capacity of water. My class just did this lab the other day. We used 0.5 M HCl and the teacher did some calculations on the board to show us that only about 0.2%(or somewhere around there) of the solution was HCl and the rest was water.
Borek
Oct1-08, 02:23 AM
Admin
P: 23,530
Quote Quote by Gimpinald View Post
We used 0.5 M HCl and the teacher did some calculations on the board to show us that only about 0.2%(or somewhere around there) of the solution was HCl
More like 1.8% (closer to 2 then to 0.2).

Register to reply