Register to reply

The logic problem faced in linear algebra

by peter13
Tags: algebra, faced, linear, logic
Share this thread:
peter13
Sep15-11, 01:07 AM
P: 2
I have some difficulties to understand the logic of the solution to this problem.

Q:The graph of a(x2 +y2)+bx+cy +d = 0 is a circle if a 6= 0. Show that there
is a circle through any three points in the plane that are not all on a line.

solution:Insisting that the graph of a(x2+y2)+bx+cy+d = 0 passes through the three points
gives a homogeneous linear system of three linear equations in four variables. This has a
nontrivial solution, and a = 0 would be the three points all lie on the line bx+cy +d = 0,
contrary to the hypothesis. So a = 0, as desired.

if there is some problem of the solution ,pls point it out and explain to me in a detail way.
Thanks a lot and this is the first time i use this forum!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
peter13
Sep15-11, 01:15 AM
P: 2
sorry for that some typing mistake.
the solution shuld be:solution:Insisting that the graph of a(x2+y2)+bx+cy+d = 0 passes through the three points
gives a homogeneous linear system of three linear equations in four variables. This has a
nontrivial solution, and a = 0 would be the three points all lie on the line bx+cy +d = 0,
contrary to the hypothesis. So a is not equal to 0, as desired.

Register to reply